Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squaring the circle, circling the square
Hi all, 
Does anybody happen to have a neat solution to the following problem, please?

I'm trying to take a circular selection and then map it to a rectangular space - rather like this image

[Image: starbucks.png] 
from Squircles' mapping a circle to a square post, in fact.

(And vice versa - what's the point if you can't get yourself back to where you came from?)

I was investigating the Lighting Effects filter's Environment Map section to see if there wasn't a blog post in it, and found that something similar to the operation I'm now interested in is carried out in selecting the source of the environment map to use. Then I found I couldn't duplicate the effect easily to illustrate the concept, even after tinkering with G'MIC's Deformations/Conformal Maps function, which looked like the sort of thing that might do the trick. 

Yes, I could get myself together to understand and write the thing, but I left coding behind a few years ago and I could spend several months teaching myself to Do This Properly in a new language, whereas what I need is to get something written about it sooner than later; if somebody has already invented the wheel (possibly by morphing something square) then it would be of immense help. Can anybody cast some light?

Messages In This Thread
Squaring the circle, circling the square - by QuinB - 08-15-2017, 09:31 PM