Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange results from cropping (looks like a bug)
This problem first arose when I upgraded from GIMP 2.10.18 to GIMP 2.10.24 but I now find also exists in GIMP 2.10.28, which in this case is being run on Windows.

I'm NOT confidant when it comes to proper terminology for describing what happens.  Therefore, I've produced some screenshots that display what I'd call the first sign of a problem.  Start by opening an image file using GIMP 2.10.18.  Then crop the image.  The attached file named G21018cropped.jpg (maybe 1 of 4) displays the result, which is what I've always been accustomed to when using GIMP (i.e., GOOD result).  Now do the same thing using GIMP 2.10.28.  The attached file named G21028cropped.jpg (2 of 4) displays what I call a strange result (i.e., BAD).

Notice the difference in the yellow dashed rectangle (whatever that might be called).  In the GOOD case it corresponds to the size/shape of the new image produced by the crop operation.  In the BAD case I'm NOT sure exactly what it corresponds to but my guess is that it is the size/shape of the original image before cropping.

If you look at things like Image>Canvas Size, Image>Print Size, Image>Scale Image what is displayed in the number of pixels in the cropped image.  In that, GOOD and BAD are the same.  However, I commonly add a Background Layer to my photos which fit the size of the paper intended for printing and provide a border of my choosing which means preferred color and some times includes text.

To add such a background involves creating a new/larger layer which is offset in such manner that it surrounds the image/photo/picture.  I typically add a transparent layer after which it becomes necessary to use the Image>Fit Canvas To Layers operation in order to fill that layer with a background color.  That is when the strange/BAD results first appear as shown in the attached file named G21028error.jpg (3 of 4).  If you perform Image>Canvas Size the height is what was expected but the width does NOT correspond to anything recognizable.  Note: when the crop was performed in this case the height was NOT changed.  My guess is that if it had been changed the same unpredictable result may have occurred for the height as well.  The file named G21018desired.jpg (4 of 4) shows the desired/intended result.

The only difference between the GOOD and BAD scenario is the version of GIMP being used.  While the same investigation was NOT performed on GIMP 2.10.24, recollection is that the same thing happened but it was easy to revert to using the older version of GIMP thinking this problem would get resolved going forward.  However, that did NOT happen for GIMP 2.10.28 so it was decided to report the problem.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Strange results from cropping (looks like a bug) - by ajax - 10-07-2021, 04:43 PM