Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
French is a very difficult language to learn.
I learned English at an early age by **reading** the Peanuts (and, later in the "TTL databook", that was my bedside book for years). My father did the same (at a later age) by learning Spanish reading Mafalda. IMHO if you want to learn a language, especially at the beginning, it is better to **read** because it goes exactly as fast as you want it to be. Movies and songs won't wait for you. The edge of comics over text-only books is that with the drawing you can guess a good deal of the text, so that reduces the need for a dictionary. Of course after a while you can switch to novels...

Some french-speaking comics classics:
  • Tintin
  • Asterix (but lots of word play and cultural references that you may not get)
  • Blake & Mortimer (adventures of British intelligence officer and scientist). A bit old school but quite wordy, which is good in your case.
  • Spirou & Fantasio
  • Lucky Luke (western parody)
  • Blueberry (western)
  • Tanguy et Laverdure (aka Les Chevaliers du Ciel) (fighter pilots)
  • Dan Cooper (also a pilot, but Canadian)
  • Buck Danny (also a pilot, but US Navy/USAF)
  • Michel Vaillant (car racing)
  • Les Schtroumfs (aka "the Smurfs")(and "Johan & Pirlouit", the series they originated in)
  • Valerian & Laureline (Science-fiction)
  • Yoko Tsuno (Science-fiction)
In the modern world, another place is online communities. Reddit has several French-speaking subs, starting with r/France.

Otherwise, about 200 million people learn to speak decent french before they are teenagers, so it can't be that difficult, right?

PS: There is a whole generation of French boys who never got the lyrics of that song either (or any song by Alizée for that matter).

Messages In This Thread
RE: French is a very difficult language to learn. - by Ofnuts - 10-24-2022, 07:35 PM