Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop)
(02-05-2023, 04:44 PM)PixLab Wrote: When you drag n drop an image on the canvas (the main place in the center of GIMP), if there is NO layer, it will open as the "Background" layer

Example:

When you drag n drop an image on the canvas OR inside the layer stack/dialog, if there is ALREADY a layer in it, the image will always open as a new layer

Example:

Quote: To begin with i would like the image to be present on an already existing layer.
This will never happen and I don't know a software like GIMP (Photoshop, Affinity, etc...) which does that, a lot of people will want to kill the developers of that software if it behaves like this.

But... you can merge down that drag n dropped new layer with the Background if you wish by clicking that icon
Example:

Quote: Anyway, what it does is that i get a new layer with the image i drag and dropped and when both the original layer and this new layer is visible and no settings changed, it just shows the clear white drawing layer i set up by changing basic settings with the creation of the file.

So you drag n dropped your image in the layer's stack/dialog and you dropped it underneath the already existing layer
Example: See that thin line under the "Background" layer (in the red rectangle), this where the layer I'm dragging will go if I release the click now, you do need to move up while dragging until that thin line is above the background layer, or drop that image in the canvas and it will be above the background layer

Last but not the least!
The “Layers” dialog is the main interface to edit, modify and manage your layers.  
Understanding the layers' dialog is certainly the most important concept to grab before every thing else > https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-dialo...cture.html

Right. Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) - by mzoltan32 - 02-05-2023, 05:23 PM