Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Upload and Edit Clip Art
(03-03-2018, 08:52 PM)drakingson Wrote: 1) I am using text and computer graphics but the clip art is all png files.  InkScape as you said is for vector files.

2) The size of the gimp file in pixels is 5401 x 7200 , the print size is 12" x 16",  the resolution is 450 x 450 ppi, the size in memory is 484.7 MG    

3) The clip art image is 960 x 960 pixels, the size of the clip art file 177 KB.  I guess I should find a large file if I can't get a clear image scaling it or hire a designer to make one that is a better fit with gimp and my file specifications.

4) The Youtube video was the only one that discussed clip art images. Can anyone suggest another site?  The Gimp tutorial is very basic and doers not discuss uploading and working with clip art images.

5) I am not sure what you mean by this.  Is that from the YouTube video. Where are you getting that quote from?

6) I downloaded the image and then cut and pasted the file onto my gimp project. I had the same problems.  I tried uploading the image directly from my desktop and the image software there. The image was much much larger but that method also had problems. I could not upload it to the gimp file I had already created and it uploaded it to a new gimp file.  I could move the clip art around using editing features but could not add text.  There has to be an easier way to do this without so much stress.  

8) and 9 I will try those features, thank you

10) All of the clip art that I find is ok for use in commercial work. I would never use clip art that had copyright protection.

1) If the clip art is simple (uniform colors) then the Trace Bitmap function Inkscape can transform it back to a vector.

2) 450DPI seems too much. 150DPI on cloth would already be good IMHO

3) With vector graphics you don't really care about the size of the image, and since it can be scaled up/down and remain sharp.

4) Generic problem with tutorials. They describe a lengthy workflow where many steps do not really answer your own needs. What you want to do is:
  • obtain an image from the web and put it on your disk
  • open the image in Gimp
  • add text to it
  • adjust image and text positions
  • save to file
Each of these is a rather simple task, for which you can find tutorials

5) Your own words:  "Next they state that you must past this image onto windows paint and then cut out the stuff from the image you don't want and then paste what you do want onto gimp". If Paint has better abilities than Gimp to cut out backgrounds, then it likely has the rather basic ability to created/move text. Or you can use Gimp for everything.

6) I'm confused by your vocabulary. "upload"/download" is about transferring files between computers.

Gimp only sees pixels. If your image is 5400x5400 and you paste a 1000x1000 image in it, it will take about 1/30th of the area (or 3%). If you want the image to take a significant part it has to be at least 3x bigger (3000x3000). But scaling up a bitmap adds blur (roughly the same as replacing sharp edges by a 3px gradient).

If you review the requirements for the print definition, and use 150DPI, then your image is 1800x1800. And your 1000x1000 clipart is almost big enough

Messages In This Thread
How to Upload and Edit Clip Art - by drakingson - 02-26-2018, 06:11 AM
RE: How to Upload and Edit Clip Art - by Ofnuts - 02-26-2018, 08:01 AM
RE: How to Upload and Edit Clip Art - by Ofnuts - 02-27-2018, 07:15 AM
RE: How to Upload and Edit Clip Art - by Ofnuts - 03-03-2018, 10:36 PM
RE: How to Upload and Edit Clip Art - by inmatez - 02-25-2022, 06:24 AM
RE: How to Upload and Edit Clip Art - by rich2005 - 02-25-2022, 09:39 AM