Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which are the files responsible for the menu on Gimp 2.6?
(01-11-2020, 06:45 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Just out of interest, which is the 'new' version of linux are you using?

Ubuntu 10.04

(01-11-2020, 08:33 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: This is why there are package managers... they handle this kind of dependency chains for you.

Something that could work, or at least reduce the work: install the current Gimp from your distro repo. This will drag in a lot of these libraries, hopefully upward compatible with the ones that your Gimp 2.6 needs. Thenre replace the Gimp executable and the Gimp trees in /usr/lib and /usr/share with the ones from your 2.6.

Another solution its to explain us why you must at all costs run Gimp 2.6 so we can figure out alternate solutions.

Interesting. I will try it after I try rich2005's first proposed solution.

I personally do not care about the Gimp's version, since I do not use it much and only to do mildly simple stuff. Nonetheless, my mother is a heavy user that does advanced editing and she does not accepts absolutely no substantial change to it. Once I tried a different Linux with a different Gimp and she complained endless about how it was awful, that the selection tool that she uses, for instance, to "soft" objects edges was different (and awful). Perhaps it was merely a matter of the brush of the newer gimp, but in another test, once again, I was not able to use the 2.6 brushes on other more recent Gimp.

I am also trying to compile gimp 2.6.0 and all its dependencies from the source in the last 3 or so years (although not continuously) but have been not able to do for a myriad of reasons, the last one being gimp's dependency on gtk 2.x headers. Gtk 2.x by its own, need to have pango compiled with support to X server. And I was not able to compile it because pango does not find the X11 headers. The fact that I compile and install all the dependencies outside common places like /usr/local/whatever does not help at all. I have been using things like PKG_CONFIG_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_FLAGS, CPP_FLAGS, but on this case, none of these worked. However, I saw a topic on stack_overflow where they recommended to use CFLAGS. I did some preliminary test and it seems to be promising. However I changed the name of the directory where I was installing all of Gimp's dependencies, and it broke down all the .la and .pc files. Since I already had spent many dozens of hours in the previous weeks compiling the dependencies (facing many, many different issues doing that) I was just so tired that I decided to stop it and postpone the compiling attempt for a couple months and try other alternatives like this one.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which are the files responsible for the menu on Gimp 2.6? - by kromak - 01-21-2020, 12:33 AM