Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couldn't get the crop tool to crop
I've been trying now for over an hour to crop an image, unsuccessfully.  I have a large image of a single layer. I need to crop 19 pixels from the left and right edges.  I've read https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-getting-unstuck.html and gone through each item carefully there: none apply.
I've drawn my massive selection rectangle which in the selection tool shows as being at position 19, 0 and size 6562x1050.
It looks like "the marching ants".
The layer is not locked.
There is only a single image layer, of an RGB JPEG.
I opened the Crop tool, thinking this put me into crop "mode".
I used rectangle select, and the Mode is Replace.
When I hit Enter, nothing happens; when I double-click the cursor inside the selection, no crop happens: all that happens is during the double click, the "+" of the cursor (with the scalpel icon hovering below and to its right) gets a box with 4 quadrants flashed up around it.
I thought that by selecting the crop tool, and then making a selection, that I activated the crop tool by double clicking inside the selection or hitting enter.
While writing up this question, I hit on the idea of *not* making a selection and instead drawing a rectangle with the crop tool.  Double-clicking inside that worked.  So I used Undo, carefully sized the rectangle created by the crop tool, and then did the double-click.
I still have no idea how you make an area that you've carefully defined by selection, get cropped, but at least I have the result I wanted, albeit two hours after I started.

Messages In This Thread
Couldn't get the crop tool to crop - by SelkieTG - 10-13-2017, 02:34 AM