Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.10.disappointment??
Not much changes in the Gimp universe. ( see complaints about Gimp 2.8 https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081685 )

I come from Gimp 2.2 days and have seen many changes over the years, always managed to adapt. I do not do any coding mainly because what I use already exists. Python3 might change that, I might have to dabble but that is what it will be "a dabble".

Why the big changes ? At the moment most stem from the introduction of GEGL. Good in one way but backward compatibility with the old discrete plugin structure is not 100%. Find another way of achieving your goal.

Do not discount the user base, always a push for non-destructive editing. Then the other end of the spectrum, new users who do not give a damn if the old 2.8 "logos" entries have gone, as long as there is a one-click fix "like the app on my android phone".

...and if really desperate, install a Gimp 2.8 Relatively easy for Windows users, not impossible for linux users.
(02-16-2021, 10:44 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Not much changes in the Gimp universe.

- -{edited for brevity}- -

Let me begin by emphasizing that I sincerely appreciate the efforts of you, ofnuts, and the others here, and the following is in no way intended to imply that you "are not doing enough".

But, I do often see a mindest in the free software community where the creators feel they are providing a "charity" of sorts, while the end users are the recipients of "welfare".....and that seems kinda screwed up to me. Perhaps that view is a product of jaundice that comes from years of sacrifice where the perceived return falls short of the sense of contribution...I can only speculate there. But I also suspect that  the creative spark that  inspired the developer to write software and put it out in the public domain in the first place must have at least in part been based on the personal satisfaction of having your creation "out there" and (ostensibly ,at least) accomplishing some "good".  

As such,I'd think the developers would be glad to hear feedback from end users, both the good and the bad. Whether they act on the feedback is entirely another matter, 

As an analogy, if I made leg braces for crippled children in my garage, and took them to the local community center and made them freely available to the needy.....if some little 8 year old mentioned discomfort with one of the products I provided, I think a constructive reaction would be for me to inspect and see if some means of relieving the discomfort could be  achieved, rather than simply responding "why you little ingrate,  you know I'm not getting rich providing these things".

Perhaps there is some inverse bias in the free software community, where the developers see the Bill Gates' and the Adobe systems raking up these huge piles of cash,  and recognizing the disparity, simply vent the resulting frustration onto their user base who dare voice desires? (just speculating) .

As far as "finding another means to achieve your goal" you are absolutely right.  I have gotten rather skillful in my use of the "heal" tool since the demise of resynthesizer.....and (separately) have even impressed myself with my ability to make random patterns tile "seamlessly", with pixel by pixel editing....which I believe was 90%+ of my prior use of the resynthesizer plugin.
So I guess there is a great deal of validity in the old axiom "that which does not kill us, only makes us stronger"... Dodgy

I do hope that gimp will find the wherewithall to push forward. I'd hate to see the major Linux distros just push it aside as "moribund".

(02-16-2021, 03:21 AM)eepjr24 Wrote: - E

In conclusion, I'd just like to emphasize that I am also providing my feedback  "free of charge",  as well.    Big Grin

You are very verbose, I will keep it shorter. No need to quote everything all the time.

Quote:..snip..I have gotten rather skillful in my use of the "heal" tool since the demise of resynthesizer

In case anyone gets this far, resynthesizer is a compiled plugin and still works. The associated python 'heal' plugins will not work unless python2 is installed see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal-S...4#pid18354

A good alternative if not able to get gimp-python working is the gimp_gmic_qt plugin - the inpaint fllters

have a nice day
(02-16-2021, 07:17 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You are very verbose, 

That's me, ...I'm a "one man war" against those who browse internet forums with a smart phone. [Image: TWlyUAM.gif]

(02-16-2021, 05:35 PM)rickk Wrote: As far as "finding another means to achieve your goal" you are absolutely right.  I have gotten rather skillful in my use of the "heal" tool since the demise of resynthesizer.....and (separately) have even impressed myself with my ability to make random patterns tile "seamlessly", with pixel by pixel editing....which I believe was 90%+ of my prior use of the resynthesizer plugin.

And seamless tiles are pretty easy with the new version of GIMP as well, unless I am missing a requirement? It works fine for me, in any case.

https://www.gameartguppy.com/tutorial-ho...e-in-gimp/

- E
thanks for the good conversation everybody....

have a good day.

stay safe.

dhugg