Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animation
(06-03-2021, 03:35 PM)Burnhard Wrote: Yes I know mate, I looked in there, it doesn't show. that was the first place I looked.

You do know that you must have Python installed in order to use  *.py  plugins?  

Alternately to get around the "must plot ellipse for each rotation" dilemma you mention earlier, you could make your first ellipse selection and copy it to the clipboard (edit -> copy), an then paste a copy as a new layer (edit-> paste as-> new layer) and then do your rotate bit on each new layer (continuing to do the edit->paste as->new layer step for each successive rotation)

Following is a very crude example I did just to illustrate the end result

[Image: iiUV91V.gif]

(06-03-2021, 03:35 PM)Burnhard Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 03:28 PM)Krikor Wrote: Layer - Transform - Multi-rotate
Yes I know mate, I looked in there, it doesn't show. that was the first place I looked.

Check that the location of the plug-in appears when searched via:

Help - Plug-in Browser , as in the image below.

(06-03-2021, 03:44 PM)rickk Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 03:35 PM)Burnhard Wrote: Yes I know mate, I looked in there, it doesn't show. that was the first place I looked.

You do know that you must have Python installed in order to use  *.py  plugins?  

Alternately to get around the "must plot ellipse for each rotation" dilemma you mention earlier, you could make your first ellipse selection and copy it to the clipboard (edit -> copy), an then paste a copy as a new layer (edit-> paste as-> new layer) and then do your rotate bit on each new layer (continuing to do the edit->paste as->new layer step for each successive rotation)

Following is a very crude example I did just to illustrate the end result

[Image: iiUV91V.gif]

No I wasn't aware of that, like I said earlier in the post I'm a total newbee to Gimp, I managed to animate something like you've demonstrated in your post, but I wasn't happy with the outcome, plus it would only be a small part of the project, so I was hoping for some kinf of batch process to make the task a little less laborious, thanks for your input, could you tell me where I can download Python please.
Python.org would be a good place to start.

Or,Open Command Prompt > Type Python Or py > Hit Enter ....If Python Is Installed it will show the version Details

(06-03-2021, 04:07 PM)rickk Wrote: Python.org would be a good place to start.

Or,Open Command Prompt > Type Python Or py > Hit Enter ....If Python Is Installed it will show the version Details

Cheers Rickk, download Python 3.9.5. I will install on my main pc when I get home, thanks a lot mate. Cool

(06-03-2021, 04:02 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 03:35 PM)Burnhard Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 03:28 PM)Krikor Wrote: Layer - Transform - Multi-rotate
Yes I know mate, I looked in there, it doesn't show. that was the first place I looked.

Check that the location of the plug-in appears when searched via:

Help - Plug-in Browser , as in the image below.

Will do, thanks.
About the only thing not asked is:
You call it a script but it is a python plugin. Put it in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

Just about get it under 60 seconds Wink https://i.imgur.com/K1hMQcp.mp4
(06-03-2021, 04:54 PM)rich2005 Wrote: About the only thing not asked is:
You call it a script but it is a python plugin. Put it in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

Just about get it under 60 seconds Wink https://i.imgur.com/K1hMQcp.mp4

I called it a script because that's what Ofnuts told me it was, I'm new to Gimp, I mean totaly new, in fact I'm new to any image manipulation software, never used any before, Python automaticaly installed from the CMD prompt on the laptop I'm using and I have Gimp installed on that too, though this is not the pc I intend to use, the plugin shows up, in the layers menu now, I've had a quick try, I don't think it's going to do what I want it too, unless I can figure out a work around, It's not rotating the elipse selection I made, it's rotating the whole image, but I'm pushed for time (at work) and can't test it untill I get home.thanks for your input though, every little bit help.
Burnhard,

One additional item, earlier you mentioned that you copied the plugin to both locations.

As Rich mentioned, it should be copied to the C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins directory.

There is also a plugins directory nested deep in the C:\program files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins directory. DO NOT copy into that directory (if this is the other you were referring to when you mention "both").

Doing so might seem harmless at first,  but it will lead to problems if you continue to add to that location. Will eventually lead to very slow program startup times while gimp scans for new plugins. Been there, done that.

Use the location Rich mentions

(06-03-2021, 05:23 PM)rickk Wrote: Burnhard,

One additional item, earlier you mentioned that you copied the plugin to both locations.

As Rich mentioned, it should be copied to the C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins directory.

There is also a plugins directory nested deep in the C:\program files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins directory. DO NOT copy into that directory (if this is the other you were referring to when you mention "both").

Doing so might seem harmless at first,  but it will lead to problems if you continue to add to that location. Will eventually lead to very slow program startup times while gimp scans for new plugins. Been there, done that.

Use the location Rich mentions

No mate, I copied it into the locations that show up in- folder/plugins, firt one, then took it out and tried it in the other, that was before I knew about Python, so I thought I might have installed it to the wrong path, It's up and running on this old laptop now, so I've installed it correctly, I'm guessing I need to learn more about layers to get this to do what I wan't it to do, I have to say It's impressive though, very quick.
(06-03-2021, 01:21 PM)Burnhard Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 07:43 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The page linked has instructions for installation. Some scripts can save you hours (the disk above took me about a minute)  or do things better that you could do manually so learning how to install them is a very useful skill.

I followed the installation instruction to the letter, but the script is not showing up in layers/transfom or any other menu Ofnuts, I've tried both plugin folders,
I did notice that there was a "query new plugins" pop up while loading Gimp so it seems it's seeing the script, obviously I don't know enough about Gimp to go trouble shooting and I don't want to mess things up, do you have any idea where I'm going wrong?

So you unzipped the ZIP, tooks the .py and put it in one of the two plug-ins directory?

Is there a Filters ➤ Python-fu ➤ Console entry in your menus?