Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applying changes to lots of files
I've been working on a few projects that involve applying the same changes to lots (hundreds or even thousands) of PNG images.  I need to keep the exact same file names, keep them as PNG, and make the exact same changes to all of them.

It would be really helpful if I could easily apply these changes to all of the PNG images at once.  Is there any way to do this without having to watch hours of scripting tutorials or any other convoluted processes?
It somewhat depends on what you want to apply in the way of changes.

There is a batch plugin BIMP that easily does the most common functions + others once you get used to it.

Download site + basic examples https://alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/
What kind of changes?
I want to turn Hue-Chroma down to 0, then apply some Color Balance changes.
If the images aren't too big, and are all the same size, you can load them as tiles in a single layer, apply the changes to that layer, and then chop the layer into tiles that are individually saved, using my ofn-tiles script(*). If the images have some logical numbering, you can have their name regenerated when exported back to files.

(*) Not to be confused with its cousin ofn-layer-tiles.
Bearing in mind the requirements.
Quote:..the same changes to lots (hundreds or even thousands) of PNG ....It would be really helpful if I could easily apply these changes to all of the PNG images at once. Is there any way to do this without having to watch hours of scripting tutorials or any other convoluted processes?
and
I want to turn Hue-Chroma down to 0 (but it is zero by default -rich), then apply some Color Balance changes.

No way to batch apply Hue-Chroma It is a GEGL filter and not script-able . You would have to find some other filters that give the same result. The GEGL filters have the "G" against them in the menu lists.
What about just inverting all the colors? Colors > Invert? Is there a way to automate that?
With BING plugin :

Quote:I want to turn Hue-Chroma down to 0, then apply some Color Balance changes.

You did not give more details of this so just a guess, If the chroma slider is pulled over to the left (zero??) then the image is desaturated. That can be replaced by the non-GEGL Colors -> Desaturate -> Desaturate (luminosity)

Color Balance changes could be done using a Color Curve and the exported settings, or simple brightness/contrast built into BIMP. Give some indication of what is required and you might get an answer.

However while Colors -> Invert is GEGL, as denzjos indicated there is still a legacy command available.

This a video demo of adding one-or-more procedures to BIMP. https://youtu.be/yQ0qH7kjqaY

Duration 3 minutes so not in the quote: watch hours of scripting tutorials or any other convoluted processes? category.
Okay, I'll go into more detail. I'm making a texture pack for a game using the Dolphin emulator's texture dumping/loading feature. That's why I need the file names and file extensions the same.

Here's the process I want to apply to each texture:

1. Open the "Hue-Chroma" menu and set Chroma to -100.
2. Open the "Color Balance" menu and set:
- Cyan (-35)
- Magenta (-100)
3. Select "Overwrite [filename].png".

I've found that this gives me the effect I want, is there any way to automate this while keeping the filenames and file extensions the same? At this point I'm willing to set up a script if necessary.