Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrow Script
Looking at the available script-fu and plug-ins available for drawing arrows, I found it difficult to find a compromise between very simple hands-on involving manually stroking paths and all-encompassing plugins with a myriad of options.

Decided on this one from http://www.programmer97.talktalk.net/Files/arrow.zip http://programmer97.byethost10.com/Files/arrow.zip which is kept very up-to-date, with a sensible set of options. Do download it, it comes with a useful PDF on use. Un-zip, put the script arrow.scm in your Gimp profile ./gimp-2.8/scripts folder or for Gimp 2.10 C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

I personally like it as a script because;
- I can add it to ofnuts resources manager and load it for occasional use.
- By default the arrows go on their own layers, easy to delete or move
- By default it cleans up after use.

How to use it, make a path, invoke the script. Tools -> arrow.. 

What I do not like are the default settings for 'Length of Wings' and 'Brush Thickness Type', so I have adjusted them in the attached script arrow-set-size.scm
Un-zip, put arrow-set-size.scm in your Gimp profile scripts folder.

A comparison using the default values, of course you can adjust either from the script dialogue for any particular image. The script(s) show up in the Tools menu.

Depending on the type of images edited, very large or small, you might want to permanently change some of the sizes. Not difficult if you stick to the basics. Edit the end of the script. Remember to work on a copy, in case (when) you screw things up.

Attached Files
.zip   arrow-set-size.scm.zip (Size: 7.21 KB / Downloads: 45,890)
Thanks Rich.
(03-01-2017, 11:04 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Looking at the available script-fu and plug-ins available for drawing arrows, I found it difficult to find a compromise between very simple hands-on involving manually stroking paths and all-encompassing plugins with a myriad of options.

Decided on this one from http://www.programmer97.talktalk.net/Files/arrow.zip which is kept very up-to-date, with a sensible set of options. Do download it, it comes with a useful PDF on use. Un-zip, put the script arrow.scm in your Gimp profile ./gimp-2.8/scripts folder

I personally like it as a script because;
- I can add it to ofnuts resources manager and load it for occasional use.
- By default the arrows go on their own layers, easy to delete or move
- By default it cleans up after use.

How to use it, make a path, invoke the script. Tools -> arrow.. 

What I do not like are the default settings for 'Length of Wings' and 'Brush Thickness Type', so I have adjusted them in the attached script arrow-set-size.scm
Un-zip, put arrow-set-size.scm in your Gimp profile scripts folder.

A comparison using the default values, of course you can adjust either from the script dialogue for any particular image. The script(s) show up in the Tools menu.

Depending on the type of images edited, very large or small, you might want to permanently change some of the sizes. Not difficult if you stick to the basics. Edit the end of the script. Remember to work on a copy, in case (when) you screw things up.
Hi Rich!  I just installed GIMP 2.10 on my MacBook Air, and am just approaching what I know will be a fairly steep learning curve!  I use paint.net on my PC, and GIMP looks like a fine sub for my up-to-date Mac!  I downloaded the arrows-set-size.scm, but I cannot find the profile scripts folder you suggest.  Has the location changed under macOS Mojave?
Thanks!
Geoff - strummerg@gmail.com
Just caught me before I pack in for the day.

When it comes to Mac/OSX, I have no idea - I use linux for an OS.

However, all Gimps are the same and you should find the location if you look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders and the scripts folder. That should give 2 locations, one is your Gimp Profile.

FWIW and to demonstrate my complete lack of OSX knowledge, I did a short video demo

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Instal...nd-plugins

might/might not help
Note that the link to the script that you gave in the first post of this thread is no longer valid - as part of their policy of increasing the cost whilst reducing the features TalkTalk scrapped their personal web-space last year!

The new link for the script is http://programmer97.byethost10.com/Files/arrow.zip
Thank you for the new link to your script, much appreciated.

Use this version if you prefer the original large default arrow head format.
(01-24-2019, 04:48 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: Thank you for the new link to your script, much appreciated.

Not actually my script - Berengar wrote the original script - just the changes from July 2010 onwards that are mine.

I like your forum and will attempt to answer some of the questions if you and Ofnuts are not quicker on the draw Wink
Hello, I am using Gimp 2.10.18 and I am not able to make this script work for me, is this script still working?
Using Windows 10 (VM) / Gimp 2.10.18 

Either of the scripts working here: Check that: 
Script is unzipped 
Script is in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts 
There is an active path.
Script registers in the Tools Menu.

Black arrow is programmer_ceds original script. Red is the default parameter mod script.

Thanks, yes I am using windows 10 and I unzip - what do you meen by "Script registers in the Tools Menu."
and I get this message? "This script needs a path with at least two points
to position the arrow head and tail (first and second points of the path are used)"?
Also, how can I put in screen shot / photo in this form like you do?