Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Gimp convert a JPG to a Photo?
Hello, Gimp experts.
Sure, you can convert a Photo to a JPG,but is there a way to do the opposite?
Can you convert a JPG into something that sorta' looks like a photograph?
IF Not, then is there some other program that can do this?
Thanks.
Mark2855

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-23-2021, 10:56 PM)Mark2855 Wrote: Hello, Gimp experts.
Sure, you can convert a Photo to a JPG,but is there a way to do the opposite?
Can you convert a JPG into something that sorta' looks like a photograph?
IF Not, then is there some other program that can do this?
Thanks.
Mark2855

You have a misconception of what is JPG...
JPG is a file format (with lossy compression) which can be a photo, a draw, whatsoever graphical.
For example your .jpg "JPG to Photo 11.jpg" is on the right side a photo, and a draw on the left side.
More about JPG ➤ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

Having said that, I have a question, is your intend is to transform a drawing into a real person or to CONVERT a PNG (another file format) to JPG?
The question really is, convert a cartoon to a realistic image... and the answer for Gimp is probably no.

You might get a bit of depth and shading by creating a depth map from the image then applying a bump-map. Certainly not  a photograph.  There might be some sort of on-line conversion - I do not know of one.

Thanks for the replies, people.

PixLab, I don't really care about what the file Type is.
I'm assuming that the output would still be a JPG.
I want to turn that image on the right into something that LOOKs like a photograph.
That is, adding shadows and details and making it sorta' 3D, photorealistic. 
Does that answer your question?

Rich2005; it looks like you added some shading there.
I guess that's a start?
Then adding details, like in the hair, etc...

Can something like that be done?
Thanks.
I found the following segment on 60 minutes pertaining to face swap software kinda interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb1GCjmw8_8

I keep hoping to log on here one day and find the new gimp plug in ofn-faceswap.py being discussed. 80)

Quote: it looks like you added some shading there. I guess that's a start?
Then adding details, like in the hair, etc...
Can something like that be done?

Probably not easily done, I used a bumpmap to give some shading and depth, but at the end-of-the-day it is still a cartoon.

3 minutes demo. https://youtu.be/Vj3MRlmfANg
Rickk: Now, That was Very interesting.
I didn't know that was possible.
And they look Very Real.  Cool !

Rich2005: Very Generous of you to make that video.
I s'pose that spending several hours on the project Could make it look...  almost?  like a photo.
Thanks very much.
(11-24-2021, 10:17 PM)Mark2855 Wrote: Rickk: Now, That was Very interesting.
I didn't know that was possible.
And they look Very Real.  Cool !

Well, the point I hoped to make, why go to all the trouble to make a face, when you can steal one?  Big Grin

An afterthought, what software do the police use when they make those " age adjusted"  bulletins seeking info on a fugitive than no one has seen in 35 years?  My guess is whatever package they use likely has a vast array of "templates" they can use to select a chin, apply wrinkles, and then assemble all the pieces in a composite? You'd probably have better luck using something like that to assemble a "Frankenface", than trying to rely upon a program to create detail that never existed in the first place.

You're right, Rickk, in an original "clipart" JPG, those details never existed.
And that's what I'd be trying to add. Must be done manually... much time involved.
I don't know what the Police artists use.
We have the (free) Gimp, here.
Thanks.
As AI use many face compositions to build another side of a face, I was thinking if one use a kind of equal looking face and morph it with the 'cartooned' face. I tried it with Sqirlz morph and the result look better than the cartoon. It must be possible to warp an equal kind of fice and blend it with the cartoon, but I did't find a free software to do that and the GMic-Qt warp plugin does not the job the way I like. So, a little example with Sqirlz :   

One of the results (just a quick made example) :