Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Watermark opacity in Gimp 2.10
Having successfully used Gimp to recover a couple of thousand elderly pages for
archiving - and my thanks to Ofnuts for his help on this project - I now need to
watermark them before the archive goes on line.

Have read several tutorials about watermarks using Gimp, and  made progress
towards a batch operation - except for adjusting the watermark opacity. There was
a tool for changing opacity in earlier versions of Gimp - where is it in 2.10 please,
or has the procedure changed?

Thanks,
Tuxford.
There has never been a "tool" in the Gimp sense. There is a slider to adjust the opacity of the current layer (top of the Layers list).

IMHO if you want to watermark a couple thousands of pictures, the efficient way is to create the watermark image itself with partial opacity,
and then to batch- compose it over the image using the compose component of ImageMagick.
If you prefer some utility with a GUI there is the BIMP plugin for Gimp. https://alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/

There is a built in watermark function where you can add regular text with varing opacity or a Graphic watermark where you would need to make the graphic with the required opacity.

Example:

...but yes when it comes to speed and efficiency ImageMagick wins.

Ahh...you are using linux. Which distro?

This is the BIMP I use in (k)buntu good chance it works on your installation.
Unzip. Put the file bimp2 in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins Check that it is still executable

Attached Files
.zip   bimp2.zip (Size: 101.68 KB / Downloads: 114)
Thank you Ofnuts and Rich2005 for the advice about watermarks.  It will be much easier now to get
a satisfactory result.

Rich2005, you asked which Linux? I am using MX-Linux, a very stable OS which is based on Debian. Both
Gimp and the Bimp plug-in are included in an MX repository so installation is easy and so far, they both
appear to be completely compatible with MX.