Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars poster
(03-21-2018, 09:39 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 09:24 AM)MikeA Wrote: Zippyshare is a popular file sharing page and as to my knowledge  does not contain any malware tools. I think your computer/browser has been infected by Pickaflick malware. Pickaflick.co popup redirects you to pages where "only registered friends are able to see all the content". "www.pickaflick.co" is a fraudulent online streaming website, that only tries to get your credit card number. You should update your virus scanner, I recommend free Comodo and especially Adaware Antivirus Free. Hope this helps.

I do not think so. I use linux and slimjet browser so windows virus does not come into it.

however: back to your poster

Unless a good image is sourced, always going to be a problem, scaling up something tiny.

Had a search around google images, and the best was tiny, a couple of hundred pix.

What can you do, scaling up and tweaking might get you to around 1000 pix. That is still probably only half the required size for a poster and still not wonderful. Gets to here, big png 3.5 MB so posted:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=...enMLJ9rT0k

What can you do to mitigate the awfulness? Make it into a feature:
This has been half-toned using Gimp 2.9.9 newsprint filter. https://i.imgur.com/wDOFgxH.png

There are other effects, just a suggestion.

Thank you, sir! I will try different filters, and your suggestion looks promising. Posters are viewed from a distance and the message is not in the details of the picture. In a small poster big letters and a minimalist approach is a way to go. Big letters - big message. Thank you again!
(03-21-2018, 11:13 AM)MikeA Wrote: Thank you, sir! I will try different filters, and your suggestion looks promising. Posters are viewed from a distance and the message is not in the details of the picture. In a small poster big letters and a minimalist approach is a way to go. Big letters - big message.

Yes, indeed, you are correct.  I was just preparing a post on that subject.

------------------
Ok, managed to navigate around the ads and nudes.

Purely technical considerations.

I can see you have tried a layer mask. The way to do it is a black (top) layer with a layer mask created from the text. White in the mask is opaque, black transparent showing the layer underneath.

The print resolution has not been set, I can guess that you are going for an A3 size poster.
A print resolution of 300 gives that size. It would be possible to reduce the size of the image, to accommodate that a poster is viewed at a distance.

The equation I have for image size vs viewing distance
is ppi = 1/((distance-in-inches x 0.000291) / 2)

Which at about a metre gives 176 ppi, say 200 ppi. That would make the scaling up a background image a little easier. An A3 size @ 200 ppi is 2339 x 3307 pixels. It would mean re-making your image again, all good practice.

However, if you are planning on getting this printed by a commercial printer do check their requirements, I have seen some with even less quality settings + bleed margins etc.
I tried to follow the instructions I was given here, without success, until I found the menu item Layer > Transparency > Color to Alpha where I selected black text and that way i managed to see the underneath layer. I still don't know what is the correct way to do it. These layers, masks, alpha etc. is all hebrew to me.

The size is A3 300dpi, because it will be printed with A3 color laser printer with 600 x 2400 maximum dpi, so image size and 300dpi is not a problem. At some point it will be printed in a copy shop. There is margin of 5 mm, which is fine for the laser printers, but I have to check what is the bleed margin of a print house.
Here is the final version and I'm quite happy with the result:

http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/zTRWgsOt/file.html

Here is what I did:
- Auto > Color Enhance
- Filter > Artistic > Apply Canvas 6

Colors are now more dramatic, thanks to Color Enhance. And Apply Canvas generated the "missing details".