Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars poster
Did you upscale the whale picture ?

The low quality is pretty apparent.
Yes, the picture is a low res web find and I have not yet asked permission to use it from the copyright owner. I will try to obtain a better quality original if possible. I hope I get the permission to use the picture, because this work is for a non-profit organization.
You can always try to find a better one with the options google provides for its image search.

Under 'Tools' there are filteroptions for size and copyrights.
(03-20-2018, 10:09 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: You can always try to find a better one with the options google provides for its image search.

Under 'Tools' there are filteroptions for size and copyrights.

I already tried to google with no luck. This is actually a clip from a much bigger picture.
Looks nice at small size, but at full size the whale image is very pixellated. If you want to make a big poster, you have to find a big image.
Another solution might be to find an image with water and blood, and another one with the fin of a whale coming out of water.
Same message but more choice of images.
(03-21-2018, 12:49 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: Another solution might be to find an image with water and blood, and another one with the fin of a whale coming out of water.
Same message but more choice of images.
Yep. There are lots of pictures with just the tail of the whale. On the other hand this is an authentic picture that shows a butchering of a whale.

Are there any GIMP tools that I could use to increase the quality of the picture without spoiling it? I think I could zoom in and modify the edges of the whale manually pixel by pixel. And copy the skin tones from other whale pictures. But what can I do with the sea? Adding darker red pixels could make the picture more dramatic.
http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/7zTck68C/file.html

that is a nasty data slurper

Oops!
You can’t access without an account on Pickaflick
(03-21-2018, 08:02 AM)rich2005 Wrote: http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/7zTck68C/file.html

that is a nasty data slurper

Oops!
You can’t access without an account on Pickaflick

Zippyshare is a popular file sharing page and as to my knowledge does not contain any malware tools. I think your computer/browser has been infected by Pickaflick malware. Pickaflick.co popup redirects you to pages where "only registered friends are able to see all the content". "www.pickaflick.co" is a fraudulent online streaming website, that only tries to get your credit card number. You should update your virus scanner, I recommend free Comodo and especially Adaware Antivirus Free. Hope this helps.
(03-21-2018, 09:24 AM)MikeA Wrote: Zippyshare is a popular file sharing page and as to my knowledge  does not contain any malware tools. I think your computer/browser has been infected by Pickaflick malware. Pickaflick.co popup redirects you to pages where "only registered friends are able to see all the content". "www.pickaflick.co" is a fraudulent online streaming website, that only tries to get your credit card number. You should update your virus scanner, I recommend free Comodo and especially Adaware Antivirus Free. Hope this helps.

I do not think so. I use linux and slimjet browser so windows virus does not come into it.

however: back to your poster

Unless a good image is sourced, always going to be a problem, scaling up something tiny.

Had a search around google images, and the best was tiny, a couple of hundred pix.

What can you do, scaling up and tweaking might get you to around 1000 pix. That is still probably only half the required size for a poster and still not wonderful. Gets to here, big png 3.5 MB so posted:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=...enMLJ9rT0k

What can you do to mitigate the awfulness? Make it into a feature:
This has been half-toned using Gimp 2.9.9 newsprint filter. https://i.imgur.com/wDOFgxH.png

There are other effects, just a suggestion.