Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delete a color.
(03-19-2019, 07:15 PM)TuxfordC Wrote: Thank you.

I wish to amplify my thanks to Ofnuts, and others for help on this ongoing project. Using the advice to make everything
monochrome, it has become much easier and considerably faster to recover stained pages. Time for an individual page
is about 2-3 minutes which is great when considering the size of the overall job. Making better progress than others who are using a product from Redmond.
Tux.
To add to my thanks for help and guidance. So far I have recovered nearly 1600 pages and the project
is getting easier. Pages from the 1950's are in much better condition than those printed 20 years earlier.
I have run across another problem, that of re-inserting images, which bring more marching ants.

Although much of the job is plain text, there are some images that need different colour treatment.
I have found it easiest to remove the images by the Edit/Cut or Copy and then re-insert by Edit/Paste
once the page and text have been cleaned up and white/black levels corrected. It is then a relatively
simple task to correct levels in the images.  

However, when Pasted back into the document, images arrive with a border of marching ants which
cannot be killed off with either Select/None or Ctrl+Shift+A.  Conversion to my release format of
PNG does clear them but the the ants remain with the saved  .XCF files.

Is there a solution ?
(05-02-2019, 03:47 AM)TuxfordC Wrote: However, when Pasted back into the document, images arrive with a border of marching ants which
cannot be killed off with either Select/None or Ctrl+Shift+A.

I suspect that is the layer boundary of the pasted image. It is a static dotted line, not moving (marching ants). It exists only in Gimp (and saved in the xcf), but does not export to png etc.

You can hide it with View > Show Layer Boundary, but I would not recommend this. It can sometimes cause some confusion for future edits.
Thanks Blighty, will leave the dotted lines there, but they are certainly not static, the dots are moving.
(05-02-2019, 03:47 AM)TuxfordC Wrote: Is there a solution ?

Sounds to me like you have a floating layer.

When you paste into an image, it will float the pasted data. (ie.. not anchor it to an existing layer or add it to a new layer) This allows you the chance to manipulate the pasted data before anchoring it. (align, resize, etc..)

Try one of these buttons if this happens to be your problem.

Thank you akovia, I had forgotten to anchor the layer. Did that and the problem is cured.
Tux.