Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eraser not working on mask
This is driving me demented. 
Adding colour to a b/w photo. I've done hundreds of these in the past, so the method is pretty much second nature, however............

1) Open b/w image
2) Select a colour I want to use
3) Add a new layer of this colour and add to that a black transparent layer mask (set to overlay)
4) Erase over the mask where I want the colour

Nothing is happening. Eraser brush opacity is at 100% (any brush, makes no difference). The eraser procedure shows in the history but nothing has happened. 

Strangely, if I select black as the colour, there is a low opacity effect even though settings are at 100, but with any other colour.....nothing.

I've tried different images, even ones that I have done successfully previously....nothing.

What am I missing please?
You had better explain your procedure a bit more.

B/W image, new layer filled with colour, black layer mask, layer in overlay mode gets me to this:

[Image: xNZncYG.jpg]

Then with the layer mask active, it is paint in white to uncover / black to hide. The eraser tool does not work on a layer mask. Are you really using a layer mask?

[Image: XpblLpn.jpg]
Thanks for the quick reply. I have used the erase to the mask for many years. I initially learned it from the video below, to cut to the chase go to about 4 minutes in. I don't want to waste your time, so it will save me a long winded explanation. I'm familiar with your method, but this erase method is just my long standing habit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GBfn6aW6a8&t=555s
Check what colour you have set for the background.

As Rich says, using the eraser on a layer without an alpha channel (such as a layer mask) causes the eraser to paint with the background colour - It's not erasing anything.
(08-08-2018, 11:56 AM)Kevin Wrote: Check what colour you have set for the background.

As Rich says, using the eraser on a layer without an alpha channel (such as a layer mask) causes the eraser to paint with the background colour - It's not erasing anything.

The background colour isn't really relevant. If you are familiar with the method that I have been using (as in the youtube vid), what I am saying is that the eraser is currently not working on the mask although it has done for the last five (or maybe more) years since I started using it! 

I am pretty au fait with how most things work in Gimp, I've done thousands of edits, I'm just stuck on this as I can't understand why it is happening now after years of using this method. It must be the dementia kicking in.
Dear me, painful to watch. Why using the eraser tool, I do not know. Presumably to save having to use a black/white FG/BG swatch.

It will not be demetia. About the only thing different in Gimp 2.8 vs Gimp 2.6 is the brush dymanics

Just a guess without seeing your setup. Do you have a brush dynamics in force? It would have to be something quite specific like color from gradient or speed-size-opacity.

edit: Still trying: Another one if the pixel lock is on in the Layer dialogue
What happens if you right-click on the layer and Show Layer Mask then use the eraser on the mask?

And humour me and tell us what the background colour is set to.
(08-08-2018, 12:29 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Dear me, painful to watch.

Lol.....I know Big Grin Its just the method I first learned and used ever since through force of habit. Ah well, on to the paintbrush. Thanks anyway.

(08-08-2018, 12:36 PM)Kevin Wrote: What happens if you right-click on the layer and Show Layer Mask then use the eraser on the mask?

And humour me and tell us what the background colour is set to.

I tried this and of course it erased to the background colour (white). I then unchecked the 'show layer mask' and tried the eraser again and it started working in the way that I'm used to and what I was asking for. This is beyond weird to me  Rolleyes

"edit: Still trying: Another one if the pixel lock is on in the Layer dialogue"
Sorry missed the edit....but no, no locks on.

By the way, I just noticed my profile says version 2.8 whereas I'm now on 2.10.4........ updated profile.