Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP 9.8 failed installaton
Hello again,

I installed the Development version GIMP 9.8X and that version could not open after the installation was complete.  The software hangs during the process of looking for the files it needs to open, apparently.

I noticed the installer placed the GIMP files in C/Program Files, whereas I thought I read someplace the Development version installes into C/Roaming/ Program Files. 

As can see, I'm not typing the path correctly, but that's all of the path I can remember at this moment.

Case in point for the old saying...."A little knowledge is a dangerous thing..!"   Big Grin

I had downloaded the version from Partha, and noticed during the installation a notification that stated Partha was the author of the software.

Has anyone else here had troubles installing the Development version, and does anyone have a comment  regarding whether or not the Partha notification indicates a valid version of GIMP?

Thanks in advance..!!
Best Regards,
Chaplain Mark

-------------
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one, than to need a camera and not have one.
I install samj's packages always w/o any error.
http://samjcreations.blogspot.it/2018/
No experience in installing the last Partha's.
Quote:I installed the Development version GIMP 9.8X and that version could not open after the installation was complete.  The software hangs during the process of looking for the files it needs to open, apparently.

There should not be any real problem. Both Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.9 look for installed fonts. If there is any problem usually a bad/broken font. It can take some time if there are a lot of fonts. It could also be that virus scanner of yours, nothing I can do about that.  

Just for the record a run down using the Partha 2.9 installer GIMP-2.9.8-std-64bit.exe

The default installation location is C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.9.8-std Note this is completely separate from the Gimp 2.8 installation.

What it does not do is create a shortcut which you need to make yourself.

Point the shortcut to C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.9.8-std\GIMP-2.9.8-std.exe as screenshot 

The reference to roaming is where Gimp 2.9 keeps its gimp profile. This is created the first time you run Gimp 2.9

To get there, open Windows Explorer, type in %appdata% which will take you to 
C:\Users\your-name\Appdata\Roaming

The folder GIMP contains the sub-folder 2.9 which contains all the folders where you should add extras such as brushes, fonts, etc as well as configuration files.

(01-24-2018, 07:23 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:I installed the Development version GIMP 9.8X and that version could not open after the installation was complete.  The software hangs during the process of looking for the files it needs to open, apparently.

There should not be any real problem. Both Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.9 look for installed fonts. If there is any problem usually a bad/broken font. It can take some time if there are a lot of fonts. It could also be that virus scanner of yours, nothing I can do about that.  

Just for the record a run down using the Partha 2.9 installer GIMP-2.9.8-std-64bit.exe

The default installation location is C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.9.8-std Note this is completely separate from the Gimp 2.8 installation.

What it does not do is create a shortcut which you need to make yourself.

Point the shortcut to C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.9.8-std\GIMP-2.9.8-std.exe as screenshot 

The reference to roaming is where Gimp 2.9 keeps its gimp profile. This is created the first time you run Gimp 2.9

To get there, open Windows Explorer, type in %appdata% which will take you to 
C:\Users\your-name\Appdata\Roaming

The folder GIMP contains the sub-folder 2.9 which contains all the folders where you should add extras such as brushes, fonts, etc as well as configuration files.

Rich,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply, I appreciate it.
While it is true that Windows Defender warned against the 2.9 installer as "unknown publisher," I have not seen (on my screen) any notices of intervention by the McAffee apps when attempting to open GIMP 2.9.

Regardless, I will review the paths you described, just to see what I might see.
Thanks again,
Chaplain Mark
Best Regards,
Chaplain Mark

-------------
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one, than to need a camera and not have one.
dont re-quote everything every time and then type inside the quote, please
(01-24-2018, 10:28 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: dont re-quote everything every time and then type inside the quote, please

Hello, Espermaschine,

I clicked the "reply" button to compose my reply to rich, not the "quote" button, just as I have just now clicked the "reply" button to reply to your admonition, yet your post was quoted in my post.  I am quite sure of this.

If I am missing something, please let me know.  

Thank you,

Chaplain Mark

Rich,

I re-installed GIMP 2.9x tonight, and it opened and ran successfully, although it took a very long time to open, actually 7 minutes-plus.

This time however,  before attempting to open GIMP for the first time after the re-install, I re-started the computer first.

I really like the presence of hundreds of filters in this version of GIMP; they are a blast to play with.  And, I like the new grey background of the interface. 

Did notice however, the Topaz plugins will not run as there seems to be a misplaced directory.

Also, contrary to what you wrote about the Partha installer not setting a desktop shortcut, a dialogue did indeed appear during installation which gave the option to create a shortcut, which I ticked.

Later on, I will attempt to troubleshoot that mis-placed or missing Topaz directory; if you want to offer me a pointer on how to do so, that would be lovely.

As you know, my computer skills are just average, but I do enjoy stretching my brain to learn sumpthin' new..... Smile

Thanks again for your help so far, me appreciates it...!!

Chaplain Mark

BTW, when I hit the reply button, the post to which I am replying auto-quotes in my reply.  In order to not quote the earlier post, I had to manually delete the quoted text, which is cumbersome.
Let me know what you think of that, if you're of a mind....
Best Regards,
Chaplain Mark

-------------
(01-25-2018, 04:18 AM)Chaplain Mark Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 10:28 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: dont re-quote everything every time and then type inside the quote, please

Hello, Espermaschine,

I clicked the "reply" button to compose my reply to rich, not the "quote" button, just as I have just now clicked the "reply" button to reply to your admonition, yet your post was quoted in my post.  I am quite sure of this.

If I am missing something, please let me know.  

Thank you,

Chaplain Mark
  • If you hit the big "New reply" black button you create a reply without quoting
  • If you use the "Quick reply" field at the bottom of the thread there is no quoting either (but this editor is more limited, even though you can later switch to the full-featured one).
  • If you use the "Reply" button at the bottom of a post, you create a reply that qutes that post. However if the quote is big you can delete the parts of the quote that aren't relevant to your answer.
Quote:...Did notice however, the Topaz plugins will not run as there seems to be a misplaced directory....

Not too sure which plugin Topaz is, Topaz generally is very expensive. edit: AFAIK it is Lightzone

If you go to the partha site http://www.partha.com and scroll down. There are links to external plugins that you might want to add.

[Image: jfjce0v.jpg]
Thanks, Rich..!
Best Regards,
Chaplain Mark

-------------
New Development...(pun intended)    Big Grin

Since having installed 2.9x, my Windows 10 laptop computer runs     v-e-r-y......s-l-o-w-l-y.

The entire computer, not just 2.9x, btw.

2.9x itself takes from 7 to 10 minutes to start, which sends up a red flag for regarding the possibility of a faulty install of 2.9x.

I would like to avoid uninstalling 2.9x, or resorting to System Restore, if possible, but having a reliably operating computer is more important to me than having a copy of 2.9x.

Anyone care to comment with ideas how I might fix these issues?

Thanks in advance for your responses..!!

Best Regards,
Chaplain Mark
Best Regards,
Chaplain Mark

-------------