Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP is exporting and opening really slow
My GIMP all of a sudden has been exporting and opening files really slowly. Been like this for the past couple of days. Not sure why. Even the smallest file takes a couple of seconds. Everything else runs perfectly fine. I have no other issues with my CPU. Just the process of exporting and opening files in GIMP has changed drastically over the past couple of days. I uninstalled and reinstalled GIMP and still am having this issue.

I have seen others with this solution. Some seem to be able to fix it, but I don't see their solution or understand their solution. If someone knows the solution to this and could dumb it down for me. I would really appreciate it.

Currently running GIMP 2.10.30
Windows 10
No reason for Gimp to become slow. Images are likely the biggest files you create, so any I/O problem start showing up with Gimp...  Look for:
  • natively slow output device
  • worn out output device (SSD)
  • fragmented filesystem
  • slower file system (paranoid antivirus, encryption...)
Besides this, if you export to PNG the PNG compression algorithm is quite slow, especially at level 9. In most case, using a much lower compression level is faster while making little difference in file size.
I have the same issue with Gimp 2.10.28 on a potent machine, running Win10 x64. All kinds of task run very well here (including video edit), but starting Gimp, or exporting (to png) takes forever.

If I export to png, I can choose the filename fast, and click on "export", but then it takes ~30 seconds, until the png settings-dialogue appears, where I can finally export. We are not even talking about large images, issue is even with a tiny piece of a screenshot.

@tdart: Could you solve the issue?

Can anybody else help with a solution?

update: Just to be sure, just updated to 2.10.32 - same issue.
(09-11-2022, 05:03 PM)BestCase Wrote: I have the same issue with Gimp 2.10.28 on a potent machine, running Win10 x64. All kinds of task run very well here (including video edit), but starting Gimp, or exporting (to png) takes forever.

If I export to png, I can choose the filename fast, and click on "export", but then it takes ~30 seconds, until the png settings-dialogue appears, where I can finally export. We are not even talking about large images, issue is even with a tiny piece of a screenshot.

@tdart: Could you solve the issue?

Can anybody else help with a solution?

update: Just to be sure, just updated to 2.10.32 - same issue.

Is export only slow with PNG or it it for all file types? If only/mostly on PNG, does using a low compression level (0-3) makes thing faster or slower?
Rename your profile folder "2.10" to "2.10.bak", then restart GIMP, does the problem persisting?
(09-11-2022, 10:58 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Is export only slow with PNG or it it for all file types? If only/mostly on PNG, does using a low compression level (0-3) makes thing faster or slower?

The exporting itself is fast, just takes forever, until the dialogue opens. Same issue with jpg.

Quote:Rename your profile folder "2.10" to "2.10.bak", then restart GIMP, does the problem persisting?

Thanky for the hint with the profile folder (in Roaming!?). Did the renaming twice, just to be sure: Starting Gimp still very slow (around 30 seconds), also png export dialogue (appeared after about 20 seconds), same for the export dialogue for jpg...
(09-20-2022, 10:12 PM)BestCase Wrote:
(09-11-2022, 10:58 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Is export only slow with PNG or it it for all file types? If only/mostly on PNG, does using a low compression level (0-3) makes thing faster or slower?
The exporting itself is fast, just takes forever, until the dialogue opens. Same issue with jpg.

The usual culprits:
  • A large number of files (thousands) in the directory where Gimp saves the files by default. Easy to check by yourself.
  • A lingering network drive that no longer really exists, but is still considered available by Windows. A reboot could fix it, a way to check this hypothesis is to temporarily shutdown all your network connection (Wifi, Ethernet), and see of this improves things (by making the network checks fail a lot faster).
  • There used to be an old bug with BIOSes that fake a diskette drive so maybe you can check your BIOS for such a legacy/compatibility setting.

PS: if forever=10minutes, this is the TCP/IP general time-out.
(09-21-2022, 12:17 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 10:12 PM)BestCase Wrote:

The usual culprits:
  • A large number of files (thousands) in the directory where Gimp saves the files by default. Easy to check by yourself.
  • A lingering network drive that no longer really exists, but is still considered available by Windows. A reboot could fix it, a way to check this hypothesis is to temporarily shutdown all your network connection (Wifi, Ethernet), and see of this improves things (by making the network checks fail a lot faster).
  • There used to be an old bug with BIOSes that fake a diskette drive so maybe you can check your BIOS for such a legacy/compatibility setting.

PS: if forever=10minutes, this is the TCP/IP general time-out.

Thanks, was disconnected mapped network drive in my case. In case someone has the same issue - just right click on it in windows explorer and select "disconnect"
Hi,

I had a similar issue, and discovered that for me, it seems to be  caused the networked drives mapped on my laptop (Windows 10) I have a lot of in-office related maps that are not available off the LAN, and the save dialog is waiting for each one to timeout before trying the next one - adding up to a long wait.
The following post seems to have helped quite a lot. Not instant, but now useable when out of office:

(Whole post copied for reference)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...c3b5e2faee

Code:
netsh interface tcp set global initialRto=300

That's the initial timeout for new Tcp/Ip connections in miliseconds. The default value is 3000 and it is doubled with each subsequent retry. So with 2 retries it takes 3+6+12 = 21 s before a connection attempt fails.

The change requires administrator privileges and is effective immediately, without restarting anything.

300 ms is the minimum allowed value. With other settings at their default values, it reduces the total timeout for offline network drives from 45-60 s to 5-15 s. But it may cause connection failures on very slow networks.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170359 for more information.