Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp-dog (animation)
[Image: 9BrxuzA.gif]

I really must get out more.
Out of curiosity, are you using a script to move the background, or just good old fashioned "stop motion" framing?

A mixture of process.

The background is a long image, then chopped up into frames using ImageMagick. That scrolls left to right.
The dog body scrolls right to left using a gimp_gmic_qt filter Sequences -> Object Animation where the 'object' is the dog-body A video demo here (French) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4919slVpsc
Then a bit of hand editing.
(04-16-2021, 07:39 AM)rich2005 Wrote: A mixture of process.

The background is a long image, then chopped up into frames using ImageMagick. That scrolls left to right.

I see, thanks!  I had a program once that did something similar, under OS/2...long time ago. I believe it was called "Embellish".

I made the following like 15 years ago, using that program, but ran into a problem with address space. If I ran the animation at a realistic speed, the program ran out of memory, and it crashed. But if I really sped things up (meaning reduced frame count), then the program could survive long enough to complete it's task. But the animation is so jerky. 

At the original frame rate, the train went by so fast, you could hardly distinguish individual cars. So, what you see is a frankenstein of sorts where I created the animation fast to co-exist with the programs limitations, and then inserted a longer frame duration after the fact, trying to make the train viewable.

In retrospect, I probably should have just made the train shorter...Live and learn, Smile

[Image: p4E5EsO.gif]

(04-16-2021, 07:39 AM)rich2005 Wrote: using ImageMagick. 

A command-line graphics app?  Oh heck yeah, I can imagine that would be all sorts of fun!!

/imagemagick$ draw-l -d -b -s r -v -m 0,0-8,47

lol!

For an animation ? A bash script. A simple loop, nothing complicated.
A long image long.png in this case 300 px high and 2000 px wide. The script is a moving 'window' 300x500 across that with a spacing set of 15 px. Makes a set of jpegs to load into Gimp.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

count=0
index=0
until [ $count -gt 1500 ]
do
    echo "$count"
    magick  long.png -crop 500x300+$count+0  "%d$index".jpg
    count=$(( $count + 15 ))
    index=$(( $index + 1 ))
done
(04-20-2021, 05:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote:

Perhaps I'm taking things too literal, but the docs I read describe the program as a command-line graphics program, invoking visions of having to enter  an instruction accompanied by scads of parameters and cartesian coordinates at a command prompt to draw a line

DRAW -Line -Yellow -Bold -Curved (between) 0,0 and 8,47 -Gradient -Left

Sorry, that's just the mental impression it gave me.  Big Grin

Which wouldn't all be bad, in fact sometimes when I'm trying to create a selection exactly 250 pixels wide, centered over an image portion that is 231 pixels wide, I often wish that I could specify the anchor points for the selection with numeric coordinates rather than play "bouncy-bouncy" with my cursor

(04-20-2021, 06:13 PM)rickk Wrote: Perhaps I'm taking things too literal, but the docs I read describe the program as a command-line graphics program, invoking visions of having to enter  an instruction accompanied by scads of parameters and cartesian coordinates at a command prompt to draw a line

DRAW -Line -Yellow -Bold -Curved (between) 0,0 and 8,47 -Gradient -Left

Sorry, that's just the mental impression it gave me.  Big Grin

Somehow, it is. But once you have the right combo, you can reuse it very easily. You can even reuse it for something a tad bigger or smaller, or even slightly different. That's the whole difference between a terminal and a GUI.

(04-20-2021, 06:13 PM)rickk Wrote: Which wouldn't all be bad,  in fact sometimes when I'm trying to create a selection exactly 250 pixels wide, centered over an image portion that is 231 pixels wide, I often wish that I could specify the anchor points for the selection with numeric coordinates rather than  play "bouncy-bouncy"  with my cursor

You can, check the tool options in the Rectangle and Ellipse selector (or the Crop tool). These fields even allow moderately complex  arithmetic (for instance you can enter the  300/2 instead of 150).

So for instance if you want a 100px wide selection centered in your 500px image: the X position can be entered as (500-100)/2 or as 500/2-100/2 and you don't need to compute that by hand first and try to click at the right spot.
(04-20-2021, 11:12 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: You can, check the tool options in the Rectangle and Ellipse selector (or the Crop tool)
I strongly suspect that Rich will have thought this impossible......but I am speechless!!   Blush

(04-20-2021, 05:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote: For an animation ? A bash script. A simple loop, nothing complicated.
A long image long.png in this case 300 px high and 2000 px wide. The script is a moving 'window' 300x500 across that with a spacing set of 15 px. Makes a set of jpegs to load into Gimp.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

count=0
index=0
until [ $count -gt 1500 ]
do
   echo "$count"
   magick  long.png -crop 500x300+$count+0  "%d$index".jpg
   count=$(( $count + 15 ))
   index=$(( $index + 1 ))
done

Interestingly enough, I was just playing around with the  "Offset Layer"  function located in the layers menu, and it appears to offer a GUI "boilerplate" entry screen for  performing very much the same function. And surprisingly the key functionality was activated with fairly simple key combinations.

[Image: MoPyggf.png]