Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heal selection
(09-05-2018, 12:11 PM)denzjos Wrote: I placed the plugins in my user folder but I've forgotten to erase teh plugins on the 'D' drive. So I' erased the synthesizer files on the 'D' drive and the plugins are now on the 'C' drive in my user folder. After starting up Gimp 2.10.6, the Resythesizer are not in the Gimp menu's. So that is not the right solution. I look further this evening for a sollution.
Thanks for the reply.

In the image here below is more information from the error line :

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What we need to see is your Layers list.
What is the layers list? On the picture of my last post is the layers dock visible on the right-bottom (lagen - it's Dutch language). There is only one layer loaded, nothing is done before (filters, etc.) I just made a selection with the lasso tool, then ENTER, then 'heal selection', chose the right parameters in the 'python heal selection' box and then 'OK'.
Very difficult to give advice when the advice is generally ignored.

Set up my Win10 VM with a second hard drive ( E: ) and installed Gimp 2.10.6 - the one from gimp.org on it.

Gimp same as always creates a user Gimp profile, Gimp 2.10 creates one in your user section "../AppData/Roaming/" This is a hidden folder so as a Windows user you need to know how to access it.

Why did I ask for a screenshot of Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> Plug-ins? Just to confirm that 1 ) it exists 2 ) Location.

Should look like this.

[Image: m7Vl4mq.jpg]

However, I see you are back to putting the plugins in the Gimp systems structure, so I will do that as well.

[Image: 2wkfj1g.jpg]

Starting Gimp 2.10.6 up and applying heal-selection, does it work. It does here.

[Image: tFfBBg8.jpg]

My conclusions. Nothing actually wrong with the plugin files. The Gimp program installation location has nothing to do with your problem.

It could be, something strange with non-english installations, There is another user with seemingly problems.

It could be, a jumble of plugins, producing conflicts.

It could be, the way you use the filter.

It could be some strange attribute of the actual files.

What can you do?
You could use a second version of Gimp, a portable version that will run from your second drive. One already mentioned http://www.partha.com and another https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/ Each of these has its own section for user plug-ins to prevent screw-ups.
Digging the source code:

Code:
/*
  Rare user error: all corpus pixels transparent or not selected (mask empty.) Which means we can't synthesize.
  This error NOT occur in GIMP if selection does not intersect, since then we use the whole drawable.
  */

So, unless there is a bug, there is no selection, despite all evidence to the contrary. But we are in 2.10, did you to anything to "commit" the selection before calling the plugin (double-click, or [Enter])?
Here screendumps from my GIMP related files :

(09-06-2018, 08:38 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Digging the source code:

Code:
 /*
 Rare user error: all corpus pixels transparent or not selected (mask empty.) Which means we can't synthesize.
 This error NOT occur in GIMP if selection does not intersect, since then we use the whole drawable.
 */

So, unless there is a bug, there is no selection, despite all evidence to the contrary. But we are in 2.10, did you to anything to "commit" the selection before calling the plugin (double-click, or [Enter])?

I have to press 'ENTER' to transform the selection made with the lasso to a 'speckled' line arround the selection. Then I go to the menu 'filters' , select the item 'verbeteren' (dutch language), then 'heal selection' in the submenu and click on the 'OK' button in the 'python fy heal slection'. That result in errors.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I first installed the 64/32 version from https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/ and used the 64 version. I placed the Resythesizer in different locations from the portable but the Resythesizer was not present in the menu. I've tried different languages. I erased this version.

I've then downloaded the portable gimp 2.10.4 version from partha : https://www.partha.com/downloads/Gimp-2....rtable.exe
I extracted the files on my 'D' drive
I placed the Resynthesizer files  in : D:\Gimp-2.10.4-std-64bit-portable\Gimp-2.10.4\portable\plug-ins
Resynthesizer is working perfect now with this portable.

So the portable from partha is the sollution for me. 

Thank you for the advice

Denzjos
(09-06-2018, 11:23 AM)denzjos Wrote: I first installed the 64/32 version from https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/ and used the 64 version. I placed the Resythesizer in different locations from the portable but the Resythesizer was not present in the menu. I've tried different languages. I erased this version.

I've then downloaded the portable gimp 2.10.4 version from partha : https://www.partha.com/downloads/Gimp-2....rtable.exe
I extracted the files on my 'D' drive
I placed the Resynthesizer files  in : D:\Gimp-2.10.4-std-64bit-portable\Gimp-2.10.4\portable\plug-ins
Resynthesizer is working perfect now with this portable.

So the portable from partha is the sollution for me. 

Thank you for the advice

Denzjos

Because the portable don't work with my Nik filters and others, I want to work with a working Gimp 2.10.6 installed version on my 'D' drive. This is what I did:
- uninstall the portable GIMP 2.10.4 version on my computer
- uninstall GIMP 2.10.6
- uninstall all GIMP plugins on my computer
- run CCleaner and let cleaner and registry do they job (free version)
- run Wise Registry Cleaner (free version)
- run Wise Disk Cleaner (free version)
- manual clean all GIMP related items in the windows register using 'regedit' (be carefull !) 
- manual erase the old GIMP files that are still on the 'C' and 'D' drive (not all files were erased with uninstall)
- run CCleaner and let cleaner and registry do they job (free version)
- run Wise Registry Cleaner (free version)
- run Wise Disk Cleaner (free version)
- shut down my computer
- start up my computer
- run CCleaner and let registry do his job (free version)
- install GIMP 2.10.6 on my 'D' drive
- I noticed that still not all GIMP items are erased : after installing GIMP as English version I got the Duch version
  and when I want to choose a file, GIMP show the latest files I used in my uninstalled GIMP (tricky to find all files in windows)
  This had no influence in the new GIMP 2.10.6 install  
- I put the Resythysizer plugins in c:\Users\'myname'\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\plug-ins
- start GIMP 2.10.6, load a picture, make a selection, and choose 'filters/enhance/heal selection in the GIMP menu
- the 'heal selection' did his job perfect without errors
- result : one more happy new GIMP user

Now I install the plugins that I want and if I have problems, I mentioned them here. 

Thanks for the support and the suggestions 
I am experiencing the same error message with Heal Selection on GIMP 2.10.8 in Windows 7 and would like to add a bit of info here to, hopefully, assist in trouble shooting.

I've been playing around with this for an hour and I think I've figured out the issue. What was confusing me was that the issue seems to be intermittent in that the plug will work fine in one spot on an image but then, in a second spot on the same image, it will fail. Also, it seemed I was having more issues on certain JPEG files than others.

So, I think that, in my case, at least, the problem was that if I make a small selection and have the "feather edges" radius set too high, the plug fails. I don't have time for more testing right now but, so far, it seems like decreasing the radius or turning off the feather edges feature makes the problem go away.

Cheers.