Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Do Very Basic Stuff?
(11-05-2017, 07:40 PM)Blighty Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 07:28 PM)abrogard Wrote: Aaah....   we don't get that layers dialogue.  

Are you using single window mode? This is recommended.
Windows > Single Window Mode

For the layers dialogue:
Windows > Dockable Dialogues > Layers

Yes, thanks for that.  Got single windows mode and got the layers dialogue up, all going well.

Followed the excellent video and just at the final moments began to get lost.  Something went wrong with the merging of layers and duplicating.

I probably mismerged or something.  When I duplicate and move only one of the copied things moves when I do it one way.  when I try another method everything moves and leaves a dark void behind....

still experimenting...
Not sure on your method, but for information

The move tool by default acts on the first solid pixel under the cursor, so you probably have transparency somewhere and you end up moving the base layer.

The easy way is enable move the active layer in the tool options

see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-move.html 4.3.2. Options
I have fluked it and have a page with two copies of the two rectangles. i.e. two copies of the whole alphabet.

I'm not sure how I did it. Seems to me I have a basic, very basic, hole in my understanding that you could perhaps help with.

When and why do I make 'new layers'?

I have my original image.
I make a destination blank.
I copy to that blank.
After copying to it I 'make new layer' right?
Then copy again, a second selection.
And now I must again 'make new layer'? right? why?

an image with a fresh copy on it is not an image? it only becomes a workable image after being made a 'new layer'?

as I say, I have this image with two copies of my original selections. Lovely. what to do to it now to 'set it in concrete', to make it a finished image that I can work with - printout, select parts of and copy - whatever - a basic image just the same as the one I started with?
"...what to do to it now to 'set it in concrete', to make it a finished image that I can work with - printout, select parts of and copy - whatever - a basic image just the same as the one I started with? "

I'm guessing, 'File > Export'
or 'File > Export as...'
(11-05-2017, 09:13 PM)abrogard Wrote: an image with a fresh copy on it is not an image?  it only becomes a workable image after being made a 'new layer'?

When you do a paste, the paste shows up in the layers dialogue as Floating Selection.
There are now 2 options:
1. Make the paste into a new layer (Right click on the Floating Selection and choose To New Layer)
2. Merge the paste into the currently active layer (Click the Anchor icon)
Many things are disabled until this choice has been made.

Most often option 1 is the correct choice.
Thanks for alll the help.  I finally got it figured well enough to put something up and feel confident about progressing into the future...

Smile

Thanks for bearing with me.  It is all so obvious, straightforward, simple, etc., etc... once you know, right?

This is a bit rough but it will do for starters.  It is not really as bad in resolution as it looks - I had to resize it to get it on the forum.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-06-2017, 09:37 AM)abrogard Wrote: .... feel confident about progressing into the future...

(I thought I had posted this, must have pressed the wrong button) Smile  

Something to try out in the future, That trace font. Looks tedious but once you have a space-upper-lowercase copy ctrl-c paste ctrl-v repeatedly.

All one big text block. The tedious bit is changing the font at the beginning of each line. Maybe wish-list the developers to enable detaching the properties from the top of the text block.

FWIW, as an example, the Gimp file attached, very small because it is all text.

Attached Files
.xcfgz   traceletters.xcfgz (Size: 72.82 KB / Downloads: 166)
Well you've just taken me to the end of the road ! I'll use your file, if you don't mind. It is excellent.

So I won't have an urgent need to come to grips with Gimp any more which is good/bad. Smile

Plenty other things I've got to 'come to grips with' : Opentoonz, Contacam, SketchUp come to mind.

Didn't quite follow your text about the tedious stuff and Ctrl-C etc. Sounds like what I was doing but I guess you're pointing to a technique I haven't gotten on to?
Can I continue this thread with an ask for just a little more information?

I've got this document laid out just the way I want it (thanks to a lot of help and finally thanks to finished job actually mailed to me !) but now find the faint letters are a little too faint for some printouts.

How do increase the blackness of the faint letters - or perhaps the line width would do?

I realise the letters are not text, they came from a scanned document, they're just images. But I wonder if Gimp has a way to darken or thicken lines within an image, I guess, is what I'm after.. I've not been able to find it myself..
Difficult to say without seeing the document

Quote:I've got this document laid out just the way I want it
Is it laid out in Gimp or something else?

Quote:How do increase the blackness of the faint letters
Are they faint because they are grey instead of black? Or faint because they are too small?

Can you post a representative sample of the document.