Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Release candidate #1 for Gimp 2.10 is out!
https://www.gimp.org/news/2018/03/26/gim...-released/
So once Gimp 2.10 is out, everything will be GEGL and all the old scripts and plug-ins, including G'MIC will no longer work ?
Installed (Windows-64).
First notes on usage:
- G'MIC cannot be linked to (my test was with the usual procedure: downloaded the .zip, unzipped, linked the unzipped folder in Preferences)
- GEGL is still missing a PDB interface (can only be used interactively)
- my filters ported to 2.9.9 work on 2.10
(03-29-2018, 04:54 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: So once Gimp 2.10 is out, everything will be GEGL and all the old scripts and plug-ins, including G'MIC will no longer work ?

GEGL is hidden behind the script-fu/python-fu interface, so there are few changes (but I wonder how many scripts will work on a 16-bit image). But for instance, foggify.py (Filters>Render>Clouds>Fog in 2.8) is basically the same between 2.8 and 2.10.
(03-29-2018, 07:18 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: GEGL is hidden behind the script-fu/python-fu interface, so there are few changes (but I wonder how many scripts will work on a 16-bit image). But for instance, foggify.py (Filters>Render>Clouds>Fog in 2.8) is basically the same between 2.8 and 2.10.

Thats comforting. Im kind of nervous about this switch.
Obviously a lot will be better with the advancement of the program, but i wonder how long it will take until the scene embraces everything to move forward, especially when stuff has to be re-written to be usable.

Im mostly exited about the layermask for groups and the fixed Overlay Blendmode.
The unified transformations tool is probably a very good thing too.
(03-29-2018, 04:54 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: So once Gimp 2.10 is out, everything will be GEGL and all the old scripts and plug-ins, including G'MIC will no longer work ?

Many compiled and python plugins will still work - the resynthesizer / heal-selection set for example.

No provision for 32 bit compiled plugins that I can see.

gmic-gimp-qt throws up an error which I am sure will be fixed in due course. The 64 bit gtk version works.

my advice

Installing - temporarily disable existing .gimp-2.8 profile to prevent migration of settings and start off with a clean installation.

Location of scripts / plugins / fonts maybe brushes. 
Make your own easily accessable  folders and point Gimp to them in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders 
Who want to go to C:\Users\your-name\Appdata\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ all the time Wink
(03-29-2018, 08:38 AM)rich2005 Wrote: my advice

Installing - temporarily disable existing .gimp-2.8 profile to prevent migration of settings and start off with a clean installation.

Location of scripts / plugins / fonts maybe brushes. 
Make your own easily accessable  folders and point Gimp to them in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders 
Who want to go to C:\Users\your-name\Appdata\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ all the time Wink

Thats good advice and i will probably go with two versions for while.
Im currently a bit unmotivated about Gimp.
wait ! that means ! if i want to use the old plugins and scripts ! i should keep the old version ??!
-
and to avoid that i should change the path !
?
(03-30-2018, 07:54 AM)unknown7 Wrote: wait ! that means ! if i want to use the old plugins and scripts ! i should keep the old version ??!
-
?

You should certainly keep your existing Gimp 2.8.x - Gimp 2.10 is a Release Candidate means reasonably stable but still need more development.

You keep both versions.

By default it installs to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2.10\ so does not interfere with Gimp 2.8

The Gimp profile is separate in C:\Users\your-name\Appdata\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ which is where you put your scripts/plugins/fonts etc
see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Adding...86#pid7286

There are going to be plugins and scripts that will not work. The favourite of many, layerfx.py for example.
32 bit compiled plugins will not work. Your beautify plugin? - try and see if it works.

For many the enhancements in Gimp 2.10 will be irrelevant. Example: Higher bit depths not really required if the end result is an animated gif.
(03-30-2018, 07:54 AM)unknown7 Wrote: wait ! that means ! if i want to use the old plugins and scripts ! i should keep the old version ??!
-
?

What you can do it put all your scripts/plugins in one or more directories that are outside of the Gimp profiles, and go to `Edit>Preferences>Folders to add them to the directories where Gimp looks for scripts or plugins.