Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Release candidate #1 for Gimp 2.10 is out!
It's working fine now, had to Reset Windows - bit drastic as I now have to install all my programs again (most of which are in my Downloads folder anyway..) and reset Environment Variables, get rid of the Windows clutter (there's plenty of that!).. all I wanted to do was try out 2.1.. cheers Smile
Is this a bug:

when I use fade tappering brush, click on the canvas, press shift to make a straight stroke, nothing is drawn.

But, if I use dynamics off , I click on canvas and I can use shift to make a stright line.
(04-03-2018, 05:48 AM)grit Wrote: Is this a bug:

when I use fade tappering brush, click on the canvas, press shift to make a straight stroke, nothing is drawn.

But, if I use dynamics off , I click on canvas and I can use shift to make a stright line.

What is the fade length set to?
(04-03-2018, 05:48 AM)grit Wrote: Is this a bug:

Not an issue with Gimp 2.9/10 it is the same in Gimp 2.8

Fade Tapering starts off with a zero size brush which incrementally increases to the set brush size, then continues.

click - shift - click to draw a straight line uses the initial size of the brush (zero) so what you are drawing is a zero width line.

There was(is) a script to create a taper using a path. Unfortunately does not work with Gimp 2.10.

No real solution at the moment. Possibilities: 
Make a triangular selection then fill it. 
Might be possible to make an animated brush, a gimp-image-hose ( gih) to cycle through tiny to large but that will be big and clumsy.
(04-03-2018, 07:00 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: What is the fade length set to?

(04-03-2018, 07:35 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Not an issue with Gimp 2.9/10 it is the same in Gimp 2.8

There was(is) a script to create a taper using a path. Unfortunately does not work with Gimp 2.10.

No real solution at the moment. Possibilities: 
Make a triangular selection then fill it. 
Might be possible to make an animated brush, a gimp-image-hose ( gih) to cycle through tiny to large but that will be big and clumsy.

Thank you.

Did you mean on this plugin? http://registry.gimp.org/node/19759
This would be really helpful even as official package
[Image: taper_settings_0.png]
A good find. The one I have is a script-fu from RobA 2008.

Had to compile the one you referenced for linux against Gimp 2.9.9, a few deprecated procedure warnings but just warnings. No reason why the Windows version should not work.

When installed find it bottom of the Edit menu: I did manage to crash it with a very wavy path but if not too ambitious looks this
[Image: hqmJfeO.jpg]

Edit Ouch: Tried the windows .exe in Win10 / Partha Gimp 2.10 and the plugin throws up an error.
Looks like it need re-compiling for Gimp 2.10

edit more: Found a better windows version from samj that works wirh Win10/Gimp 2.10
attached.

Remember to unzip and pop in your Gimp plugins profile: ...some long path appdata. ...etc

Attached Files
.zip   stroke-path-with-taper.exe.zip (Size: 20.79 KB / Downloads: 164)
Thank you.

I think I found a real bug. Softglow doesn't work. Doesn't have any area glow effect. It's the same as original stroke. I wanted to achieve Photoshop's Inner and Outer glow filter.

Do not assume that because the name is the same, the Gimp effect is the same as a PS effect.

see: https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/plug-in-softglow.html

[Image: vqUJyaD.jpg]

My advice. Ask the question in the General Questions section along the lines of: How do I replicate this PS effect with details of the effect. Maybe some kind person will answer.
@grit
This might get you part of the way.

Get layerfx.scm or layerfx.py from http://registry.gimp.org/node/186 not the layerfx 2.8.py which AFAIK does not work correctly. (although you can try it) edit: layer.2.8.fx.py is worth a try, seems to be working ok in my linux Gimp.

Win10 / Gimp 2.10 looks like this

[Image: 3hf5WnJ.jpg]
Cool.
Ok, softglow works if you have some colored background.
But, if you have alpha background, it doesn't work.