Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Replicating a path
(04-28-2022, 04:17 PM)Ottia Tuota Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 03:49 PM)Krikor Wrote: With the modified version, I got this strange result.
xcf used in attachment.

I suppose it is those sharp corners. The distortion is done by my own approximation algorithm, and I know very well that it is rather rickety. It is no surprise that it may fail in difficult cases. There is no other remedy but to do manual corrections.

Just changing the Line style (from Milter to Round) definitely fixed the problem. 

Thx.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Krikor, Out of interest I tried your file and settings and got a spike that's different to yours.

Having noticed the other change to the plugin between v0.7 and v0.8 is from
SHORT_ARC = 10 # pixels
to
SHORT_ARC = 5 # pixels

I changed that back and the spike went.  However that may just be a one off for your example, I have no idea what the wider implications of such a change are.  Anyway that's a difficult case Smile

(04-28-2022, 04:46 PM)Krikor Wrote: Just changing the Line style (from Milter to Round) definitely fixed the problem.  

How did you do that, the only place I know for line style is when stroking a path with Stroke line. Is that what you mean?

Overall the plugin is working really well, thank you again Ottia Tuota.
(04-29-2022, 01:36 AM)teapot Wrote: .
SHORT_ARC = 10 # pixels
to
SHORT_ARC = 5 # pixels

I changed that back and the spike went.  However that may just be a one off for your example, I have no idea what the wider implications of such a change are.  Anyway that's a difficult case Smile
I had some other difficult case that made me to do that change. I don't remember exactly. The meaning of SHORT_ARC is that arcs below it are done with some simple solution instead of the rickety approximation algorithm with its subdivisions to ever shorter arcs.

I think that how the plugin manages those difficult cases is just  a question of luck. The program should be made better, but now it remains as it is.
Hi teapot!

(04-29-2022, 01:36 AM)teapot Wrote: Krikor, Out of interest I tried your file and settings and got a spike that's different to yours.

I would say this is something unexpected, but the strange thing is that I can no longer reproduce my result displayed in post #48.

(04-29-2022, 01:36 AM)teapot Wrote: Having noticed the other change to the plugin between v0.7 and v0.8 is from
SHORT_ARC = 10 # pixels
to
SHORT_ARC = 5 # pixels

I didn't download the updated version from Ottia Tuota, I simply manually edited the code as instructed in post #44.

So I couldn't tell you what the SHORT_ARC changes from 10 to 5 in the new code might produce.

(04-29-2022, 01:36 AM)teapot Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 04:46 PM)Krikor Wrote: Just changing the Line style (from Milter to Round) definitely fixed the problem.  

How did you do that, the only place I know for line style is when stroking a path with Stroke line. Is that what you mean?

Overall the plugin is working really well, thank you again Ottia Tuota.

Yes, right there. When I made the reported change the spike was gone.

But now, trying to reproduce the previous problem, I redid the previous settings and tried even with others, but I still get the result without any problems.

On the bright side, the problem disappeared like magic.
(04-29-2022, 04:28 AM)Ottia Tuota Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 01:36 AM)teapot Wrote: .
SHORT_ARC = 10 # pixels
to
SHORT_ARC = 5 # pixels

I had some other difficult case that made me to do that change. I don't remember exactly. The meaning of SHORT_ARC is that arcs below it are done with some simple solution instead of the rickety approximation algorithm with its subdivisions to ever shorter arcs.

I think that how the plugin manages those difficult cases is just  a question of luck. The program should be made better, but now it remains as it is.

Thank you for the explanation Cool
Revisiting this, nothing as complicated as the previous showings but sometimes comes up in Gimp 'how-to's

A bit of preparation required for the target path, this was hand painted then center-line traced. Might have been easier just to draw the path straight in.

The pattern the half-moon and the base path to create an offset. This moved for the three offsets. Each path filled  with different colour.

...and yes, a bit of hand-painting at the end(s) to tidy up Wink

edit: with a bevel and a drop shadow.

Nice result Rich.
Does anyone have a copy of this plugin (Replicate path along circle)? Ottia Tuota's website is unavailable, Wayback machine not much use..

Thanks in advance.
(04-30-2023, 04:49 PM)Zero01 Wrote: Does anyone have a copy of this plugin (Replicate path along circle)? Ottia Tuota's website is unavailable, Wayback machine not much use..

Thanks in advance.

Please, try again

http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Path_replicate_...aster.html

working fine here that website
Thanks! I managed to download with Edge, wasn't working in Firefox for some unknown reason...