Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resynthesize not appearing in menu
I've been using gimp for a few years, most of my prior experience was with Windows 7. I managed to install Python and several plug-ins dependent upon it,..with good results.  One of those was resynthesizer.

None of that is part of the problem now.

About a year ago I started using a live distribution of Debian called "knoppix", installed it onto a flashdrive .....really have liked it, I got the DVD version which includes a generous software bundle, with one of those items being gimp 2.10.8 .

Recently I decided to try and add a few plugins  to the gimp that I use under knoppix. So, in reading here I saw where  rich2005 had put up for download for someone else a directrory named resynth-linux containing two *.py files, and two other files named resynthesizer and resynthesizer_gui

So, I down loaded those files, found the directories specified in gimp  edit/preferences/folders/plug-ins  and made sure that the specified locations had those files copied into them.

When I started Gimp, there was no change in either of the Filters/Enhance or the Filters/Map menus

Wondering if I had Python support installed, I ran python --version and got "Python 2.7.16" and when running python3 --version I got back "Python 3.7.3"

So far  as you know, should that support the plugins that I am trying to use?

Out of curiosity, I went digging and noticed in the directory usr/lib/ were subdirectories  "python2.5", "python2.6",  python2.7", "Python3",  "Python3.7"

Out of those,the contents of "3.7" and "2.7" had many common elements, such as  sub directories with common names.....while the other "python*.*" directories  differed somewhat.  The " python3 and python2.6 directories both had subdirectories named "dist-packages"(only that one subdirectory in either),  but  the contents of each differed significantly from the other .... while the remaining "python2.5" directory had almost nothing in it. I'm guessing the oddballs contain legacy support for the generous software bundle that came along with the OS? 

I appreciate that the last 2 paragraphs might amount to nothing, but just wanted to include them out of an abundance of caution that I might otherwise be leaving out info you might have a use for in determining where I went wrong.

Suggestions?

knoppix was possibly the first linux distro I found 'easy' to use back in the early 2000's. The latest does use Gimp 2.10.8 which is a bit on the old side, but strange that it does not have python 2 as a dependency. Many of the latest debian based distros, ubuntu20, mint20 have dropped python 2 as a default in favour of python 3. Usually you can install python 2 from the distro repository but then it depends on if the gimp-python package is there. For resynthesizer the binary plugins show in the Gimp Filters -> Map section. Not affected by the lack of python

For more mainstream distros, some information here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal-S...4#pid18354

With a live version of linux running from a DVD adding 'extras' such as the .debs in the above link or maybe a Gimp flatpak version could be a problem. You might get away with a Gimp appimage which is (almost) self contained. Try this one a Gimp 2.10.22
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-app...4.AppImage
Download, make executable, run. It also contains the resynth/heal plugins already installed. Worth a try.
(01-25-2021, 09:16 AM)rich2005 Wrote: With a live version of linux running from a DVD adding 'extras' such as the .debs in the above link or maybe a  Gimp flatpak version could be a problem. You might get away with a Gimp appimage which is (almost) self contained. Try this one a Gimp 2.10.22
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-app...4.AppImage  
Download, make executable, run. It also contains the resynth/heal plugins already installed. Worth a try.

Thanks for your help, I'll give that a try.  

Yes, knoppix can be surprising.  My first exposure to it was from an image included in a freebie bundle that was tacked onto a magazine, and the way it immediately knew how to make my then new pci soundcard work with no tweaking required, was somewhat of a jaw dropper.  Considering I had months earlier gone out and bought a shrinkwrap version of SUSE, and getting the soundcard to work under SUSE was a nightmare,... knoppix impressed me with it's out-of-the-box prowess. 

Now the main attraction to me, is being able to have all that software on my keychain, pre-configured exactly the way I like.
Thanks again!

(01-25-2021, 09:16 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The latest does use Gimp 2.10.8 which is a bit on the old side, but strange that it does not have python 2 as a dependency.  Many of the latest debian based distros, ubuntu20, mint20 have dropped python 2 as a default in favour of python 3. Usually you can install python 2 from the distro repository but then it depends on if the gimp-python package  is there. For resynthesizer the binary plugins show in the Gimp Filters -> Map section. Not affected by the lack of python

For more mainstream distros, some information here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal-S...4#pid18354

Also, just to satisfy my general curiosity   would the  *.py files be interchangeable between the windows and linux versions of the resynthesizer plug-in?

For instance the files you made available for download included the two binaries plus  plugin-heal-selection.py and plugin-heal-transparency.py.

While the version I downloaded for windows some time back included those 4 files, plus  
- plugin-map-style.py,  - plugin-render-texture.py,  - plugin-resynth-enlarge.py,   - plugin-resynth-fill-pattern.py,  - plugin-resynth-sharpen.py,  and  - plugin-uncrop.py

Would the files in the last group be platform independent, or is there an inherent difference between windows compatible versions vs linux? (beyond the obvious difference in the binaries)

Python plugins are the same in Windows or Linux All the plugins you mention are reliant on a working resynthesizer plugin and that is dependent on OS. I only include the two - heal selection and heal transparency as they are the most useful / widely used. The others are, in my opinion, not so good. There are better ways to sharpen for example.
(01-25-2021, 04:58 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Python plugins are the same in Windows or Linux All the plugins you mention are reliant on a working resynthesizer plugin and that is dependent on OS.  I only include the two - heal selection and heal transparency as they are the most useful / widely used. The others are, in my opinion, not so good. There are better ways to sharpen for example.

Well, I would like to emphasize how much I appreciate your taking the time to try and help me. After reading the additional discussion that you linked to, I guess the main takeaway that I get is "don't upgrade my (gimp)  version level on my Windows system"...since all my coveted legacy functionality still works there, I should savor the moment  and not tamper with success....lol!

It's a shame that the Linux and Gimp communities are getting factional, and disinterested in the needs of each other. I recall pretty much the same thing years ago as the OS/2 community melted down.....conflicting *.DLL files that insisted upon being in a particular directory, one version would break functionality in some apps, while the other, identically named, version would only work in others, with both breaking the functionality of each other as part of the bargain....it did not end well.  The knoppix community appears to be dysfunctional as well. The forums at their official site are mostly a ghost town (you need moderator approval for your first post to appear, and from what I gather there has been no moderator present for over 6 months) Only a few die hard users that have been in the system for  years are still posting there, and even that is sparce. 

I down loaded the gimp AppImage you linked to,  copied it to /usr/bin, and when trying to execute it through a terminal, I get the error message "error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".....

It looks like the fix for that is really more complicated than I had in mind for the purposes of this thread, so I guess I'll just have to rely upon my obsolete windows gimp to get that sort of thing done.

Your willingness to help is, however, sincerely appreciated.

I tried as well, did not fancy a 4GB knoppix download so used my partedmagick 'live' USB. Got the same error message. However I did write a kubuntu 20.04 ISO as a 'live' USB and that runs the appimage no problem. Pays-your-money makes-your-choice as they say Wink
(01-26-2021, 09:36 AM)rich2005 Wrote:  Pays-your-money makes-your-choice as they say Wink

Yeah, you're right. A conventional install wouldn't kill me..

What I should probably do, is install knoppix to a partition on my hard drive, and use that as a laboratory to fix everything that needs to be fixed, and then remaster that onto a flash drive only after I have everything cooperating.

Earlier you mentioned the following, could you please elaborate a little further on the text I have emboldened?:

The latest does use Gimp 2.10.8 which is a bit on the old side, but strange that it does not have python 2 as a dependency. Many of the latest debian based distros, ubuntu20, mint20 have dropped python 2 as a default in favour of python 3. Usually you can install python 2 from the distro repository but then it depends on if the gimp-python package is there. For resynthesizer the binary plugins show in the Gimp Filters -> Map section. Not affected by the lack of python

Specifically, when you say ", but strange that it does not have python 2 as a dependency"     Are you saying there appears to be a Python version "missing" in my install, and that you are surprised that the Knoppix people were able to get Gimp working without it's presence? (that's what I think you meant, but just want to be sure)

And then when you say "but then it depends on if the gimp-python package"  Is this package a part of Gimp that interacts with Python, or is it a part of Python  that interacts with Gimp?  I suspect you mean the latter, but not being sure, I'd prefer not to speculate. (I guess I'm pondering the meaning of that hyphen in your word choice) 

And lastly, where you say " resynthesizer the binary plugins show in the Gimp Filters -> Map section. Not affected by the lack of python"  Are you saying that the two *.py  files that you included in "resynth-linux"  (plugin-heal-selection.py, and plugin-heal-transparency.py)  are not specifically needed by the two binaries, but have a separate function?

If these sound petty, I'm sorry, but If I'm going to embark on an elaborate "fix" mission, I'd like to make sure that I am 100%  clear on your intent.

Thanks again!

(01-26-2021, 04:59 PM)rickk Wrote: ....snip..
And then when you say "but then it depends on if the gimp-python package"  Is this package a part of Gimp that interacts with Python, or is it a part of Python  that interacts with Gimp?  I suspect you mean the latter, but not being sure, I'd prefer not to speculate. (I guess I'm pondering the meaning of that hyphen in your word choice) 

In Gimp 2.10, python support comes from a package gimp-python. Used to be that Gimp pulled in that package as a dependency. It looks like knoppix is based on Debian 10 / Gimp 2.10.8 which just has gimp-python as a 'suggest'  https://i.imgur.com/vChxNzf.jpg    All Gimps the same now,  install the gimp-python package yourself and for latest distros that have moved to python3 even that package is not available.
I had a quick look at the knoppix DVD package list, I could not see the gimp-python package mentioned but it might be there. Needed for those heal-something.py plugins.

Quote:And lastly, where you say "resynthesizer the binary plugins show in the Gimp Filters -> Map section. Not affected by the lack of python" Are you saying that the two *.py  files that you included in "resynth-linux"  (plugin-heal-selection.py, and plugin-heal-transparency.py)  are not specifically needed by the two binaries, but have a separate function?

resynthesizer (& resynthesizer-gui)  is an old plugin going back a long way. Used for making seamless patterns amongst other things. Since resynthesizer is a compiled plugin it does not require python. The python plugins, which use resynthesizer came along later and do require python.
Thanks for your insight.  I guess my problem is really more in the realm of Debian and Python.  Having just googled "Gimp-Python Package",. I have a hard time believing that enough people find dealing with that sort of thing to be "fun",  to the extent that it is tolerated. But I guess I am getting old.

Not that I am 100% opposed  to learning the  nuts and bolts of Python, but when the first chapter doesn't start "getting gimp to work with  your distro"... I tend to find other priorities more pressing. Dodgy

Perhaps I'm the oddball, but I always felt like one of the big plusses to installing Linux, was the bundled inclusion of gimp. If as you say the newer distros are including only  Python3, and Python3 doesn't support gimp at all......this might be like the end of an era.