Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set Default Export Format
GIMP 2.8 insists on using .PNG as the default export format. We have standardised on .JPG format. Is there a way to set JPG as the default export format?
It is encoded in the Gimp binary files, so not changeable using regular Gimp settings. There is a hack that works

https://www.flickr.com/groups/48637250@N...200558924/

I could fix you up with that for Gimp 2.8.22 if you require.

A better bet that does not involve any diving into the Gimp system files might be the old save-for-web plugin

There is a Windows 64 bit version here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-plugin...98#pid3598

Unzip Goes in C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins or C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins for multiple users.
Find it in the File -> Save for web which defaults to jpeg. Works ok with Gimp 2.8

If all that is no good for any reason, (Corporate policy / No permissions / don't like) all you have to do is replace/add the jpg suffix to the file name. Gimp does the rest
(02-21-2019, 06:51 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It is encoded in the Gimp binary files, so not changeable using regular Gimp settings. There is a hack that works

https://www.flickr.com/groups/48637250@N...200558924/

Agree with the posted link but search for 'care' (without the quotes) you then find the occurrence of png that you need to change to jpg straight-away.
I did submit a patch for the development version of 2.10 to add a drop-down box to "Edit/Preferences/Image Import & Export" to allow the user to set the default export file type - this received absolutely no response and seems to have not been transferred from Bugzilla to GIT. I guess the developers are happy for users to be hacked off by having to set the export file each time or to have to edit the exe file!
(02-24-2019, 10:16 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: .... I guess the developers are happy for users to be hacked off by having to set the export file each time or to have to edit the exe file!

Yes, I think the Gimp developers, while they do a great job, are somewhat divorced from actual Gimp users. Need to get out more Wink

Although, remembering the reams of posts over the Save/Export change, many of these wishes are cured by a third-party plugin. I use a quick-n-dirty export-as-a-jpeg, with roughly Gimp 2.8 default settings. Good enough for posting on imgur.
(02-24-2019, 10:16 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: I did submit a patch for the development version of 2.10 to add a drop-down box to "Edit/Preferences/Image Import & Export" to allow the user to set the default export file type - this received absolutely no response and seems to have not been transferred from Bugzilla to GIT. I guess the developers are happy for users to be hacked off by having to set the export file each time or to have to edit the exe file!

I realise that it won't help you if you are still using GIMP 2.8.x but the patch has been included in GIMP 2.10.10

"Edit/Preferences/Image Import & Export/Export File Type" allows you to set the default.
(04-10-2019, 06:37 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: I realise that it won't help you if you are still using GIMP 2.8.x but the patch has been included in GIMP 2.10.10

"Edit/Preferences/Image Import & Export/Export File Type" allows you to set the default.

Nice to know! Thank you for that.
Good to know. I still prefer the previous interface, tho.
(04-11-2019, 01:13 PM)PeaceLuth Wrote: Good to know. I still prefer the previous interface, tho.

Peace Luth, have you trid the Export As option? That looks the same to me. In fact, as I think back, it's the only one I've ever used, because I do use both jpg and png formats, depending on my purpose. Now I know I can take a shortcut for jpg files.
Hi, Is there any way to set the default export format to Microsoft Windows Icon. It is an available format, just not in the preferences dialogue?

Thanking you,

Ian