Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dmg install failure
Hello,

Long time Gimp user on windows. Lately switched to mac.

Downloaded version 2.10.8 dmg.
After succesful install, I get a message saying "can't be opened because identity of developer cannot be confirmed" when the icon is executed.

I am on latest osx version 'Mojave'. The security feature is set to "install from everywhere" and have succefully installed apps from 'everywhere'.

Don't know if this is an issue with the way that the installer is set-up or what   Huh
Not many (none) Mac users here Wink

Anything in this that helps? The last one is reasonably recent.

http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-use...ess-on-mac
Unfortunately I tried those before... the newest one too. With the newest one, it verifies but upon first execute of the program it verifies again but this time the verification takes even longer and then gives the same message.
I'm certain it has something to do with the way the file is packaged 'cause I install many mac programs from external sources.

anyway thanks for the quick response rich Smile
(11-18-2018, 06:29 PM)Gimpleton Wrote: Unfortunately I tried those before... the newest one too. With the newest one, it verifies but upon first execute of the program it verifies again but this time the verification takes even longer and then gives the same message.
I'm certain it has something to do with the way the file is packaged 'cause I install many mac programs from external sources.

You could try the Partha McGimp, version 2.10.8 has just arrived. http://www.partha.com maybe the packaging is different.
Partha McGimp requires x-11 interface plus need to install the NUFRaw editor after 2.10 install - which will not install on my system. <--- this method is way above my head.

However, I was able to succesfully install 2.8 version as posted @ the gimp site Big Grin Which leads me to think that the dmg for 2.10 has some quirck to it. Hopefully at some point they might look into it. Maybe I should contact them. Since maybe not too many mac users are downloading, any stray one like me might/will have this same issue.

add:

I was able to install McGimp without any issues  Big Grin
Nice GUI too... had not heard of this version before.
Thanks rich005 for the suggest  Exclamation
Hello! I'm new to this forum and realize this is an old thread, but just wanted to check in as one more mac user Smile

I switched back to GIMP a month ago after having used Photoshop-only for 18 years (since OSX was released).

I also ran into the "unidentified developer" issue as well. It sounds like you resolved it with McGimp already, however, in case any other mac users happen to stumble upon this thread, the following solution will work as long as you have admin-level credentials for the machine on which it's installed (only do this with trusted apps you're certain aren't malicious)

You can make GIMP an "exception" by following these instructions as per Apple's support site, which worked for me as described:

"In the Finder, Control-click the app, choose Open from the menu, and in the dialog that appears, click Open. Enter your admin name and password when prompted. The app is now saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can any authorized app."

Tip: make sure to go through the steps as described - do it via the Finder & not from Launchpad because it won't work. Finally, since Apple support specified to do this via the Finder, I assumed the OS needed a fully qualified path to make the "exception," so I went step by step and selected "Open" from the menu as described instead of using any shortcut. Lastly, I made an alias on my desktop because launching it from Launchpad would occasionally cause a "hiccup" where it would hang too long & I'd have to relaunch. Launching it from the desktop has thus far been trouble-free and stable.

I'll check out McGimp, though, thanks for the suggestion!
(02-16-2019, 05:16 PM)pammadahan Wrote: Hello! I'm new to this forum and realize this is an old thread, but just wanted to check in as one more mac user Smile

I switched back to GIMP a month ago after having used Photoshop-only for 18 years (since OSX was released).

I also ran into the "unidentified developer" issue as well. It sounds like you resolved it with McGimp already, however, in case any other mac users happen to stumble upon this thread, the following solution will work as long as you have admin-level credentials for the machine on which it's installed (only do this with trusted apps you're certain aren't malicious)

You can make GIMP an "exception" by following these instructions as per Apple's support site, which worked for me as described:

"In the Finder, Control-click the app, choose Open from the menu, and in the dialog that appears, click Open. Enter your admin name and password when prompted. The app is now saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can any authorized app."

Tip: make sure to go through the steps as described  - do it via the Finder & not from Launchpad because it won't work. Finally, since Apple support specified to do this via the Finder, I assumed the OS needed a fully qualified path to make the "exception," so I went step by step and selected "Open" from the menu as described instead of using any shortcut. Lastly, I made an alias on my desktop because launching it from Launchpad would occasionally cause a "hiccup" where it would hang too long & I'd have to relaunch. Launching it from the desktop has thus far been trouble-free and stable.

I'll check out McGimp, though, thanks for the suggestion!

I have been using Apple for 10+ years and GIMP, off and on, as long. I tried to install Gimp and McGimp, both 2.10.8 versions. I was able to install, after signing in with admin privileges, but then the McGimp won't reside in Applications and, when activated, goes through a new install sequence, with call for admin signing, etc.. It runs then, but after lengthy re-install. With Gimp, it resides inside Applications, but without an icon, just the program file indicated. It also, when activated, goes through the entire re-install sequence.

Clearly, I can use the programs, but there is a sense of anxiety...is this really alright? This is not a normal sequence; is my work going to disappear at some future point, without my knowing why? Etc, etc.

Any help, of course, would be appreciated. It does seem that the developers and/or the OS mavens have crossed wires somehow. I have no desire to learn or tolerate involved coding; I did that in the past, with far too many headaches.

Thanks in advance to any resident savants.
NatureRocks