Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hand drawn line effect
(02-04-2024, 04:29 PM)Robpared Wrote: Ok.  A Little late following up, since have been involved in loading GMIC, now that I have that solved, shouldn't the python script be in scripts folder ILO of plus-ins? still trying the script you sent...  

First, default locations for scripts / plug-ins... and any other user resource.

Go to Preferences and in a Mac that is under the Gimp menu (next to File I think) Expand the Folders entry and for Plug-ins it will show the location to use - your Gimp User Profile. (edit -found a MacOS screenshot)

Plugins can be compiled (binary)  files and in Gimp also python.  somename.py files. These have to set as executabe.to work. Something like
Code:
chmod 755 path/to/somename.py

However as I mentioned earlier, the version of Gimp you have installed might not come with python enabled. Newer linux versions have this problem. How can you tell ? Look in the Filters menu. Is there a Python-Fu entry ?  If there is then you can use python plug-ins.  

(02-04-2024, 05:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(02-04-2024, 04:29 PM)Robpared Wrote: Ok.  A Little late following up, since have been involved in loading GMIC, now that I have that solved, shouldn't the python script be in scripts folder ILO of plus-ins? still trying the script you sent...  

First, default locations for scripts / plug-ins... and any other user resource.

Go to Preferences and in a Mac that is under the Gimp menu (next to File I think) Expand the Folders entry and for Plug-ins it will show the location to use - your Gimp User Profile. (edit -found a MacOS screenshot)

Plugins can be compiled (binary)  files and in Gimp also python.  somename.py files. These have to set as executabe.to work. Something like
Code:
chmod 755 path/to/somename.py

However as I mentioned earlier, the version of Gimp you have installed might not come with python enabled. Newer linux versions have this problem. How can you tell ? Look in the Filters menu. Is there a Python-Fu entry ?  If there is then you can use python plug-ins.  
Yes, there is a python-fu installed. Should i try typing the file path command on the python window? One thing I noticed, and maybe this is why is not working, after the original Gimp install, the user folder path under preferences did not have a plugins folder, it had the patterns folder but no plugins folder, even after i unhid all the folders and files. I created a new folder named plugins in the user subdirectory and put your script in it. Seems gimp is not searching that folder? The applications folder did have the plugins folder, very confusing. The path shown in the preferences/folders showed correctly the plugins folder for the application directory but the user path, once i looked, did not have a plug-in folder. Anyway, thank you for your help, just trying to understand gimps file structure for my own knowledge.
(02-06-2024, 02:24 PM)Robpared Wrote: Yes, there is a python-fu installed. Should i try typing the file path command on the python window?

No. Scripts and plugins use a menu loction registration and are run from the menu entry.

Quote:One thing I noticed, and maybe this is why is not working, after the original Gimp install, the user folder path under preferences did not have a plugins folder, it had the patterns folder but no plugins folder, even after i unhid all the folders and files. I created a new folder named plugins in the user subdirectory and put your script in it. Seems gimp is not searching that folder? The applications folder did have the plugins folder, very confusing. The path shown in the preferences/folders showed correctly the plugins folder for the application directory but the user path, once i looked, did not have a plug-in folder.

I have come across this before, (used to have an old mac VM) Check the actual paths are correct in Gimp-210 -> Preferences -> Folders -> Plug-ins.

Consider making your own folder in a convenient place and put any user plugin there. (the same applies to other resources)
Add the path like this. The default paths are a pain. You should not use the system folder and the user folder is often hidden away.

and a quick animation: https://i.imgur.com/ILXyPbm.mp4

Finally, make sure the plugin is executable.

Quote:Anyway, thank you for your help, just trying to understand gimps file structure for my own knowledge.

Keep plugging away, I have only been using Gimp since version 2.2 and still learning.