Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-bend-path
Regarding the 'Contents' dropdown menu: 'Tangent' is another word for a handle ?

So if a round letter sticks out too much, i can limit and effectively squash it with a guide ?

The Bendiness paragraph i dont get at all.
(12-20-2017, 12:59 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: The Bendiness paragraph i dont get at all.

(12-20-2017, 12:59 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Regarding the 'Contents' dropdown menu: 'Tangent' is another word for a handle ?

So if a round letter sticks out to much, i can limit and effectively squash it with a guide ?

1) yes

2) No, guides are an indication of position only, they won't change the path shape
Okay, so Bendiness means how much the handles stick out, so that the straight segments are actually curves.
At 0 the handle is on top of the anchor while at 200 its completely out ending at the next anchor, right ?

So far i havent noticed any differences, when i change the values. Depends on the font, i guess ?

I still cant figure out what the guides do. How does the position of the guides in the example lead to the lessened height of the text ?

(12-20-2017, 02:41 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: 01.
Okay, so Bendiness means how much the handles stick out, so that the straight segments are actually curves.
At 0 the handle is on top the anchor while at 200 its completely out ending at the next anchor, right ?

So far i havent noticed any differences, when i change the values. Depends on the font, i guess ?

I still cant figure out what the guides do. How does the position of the guides in the example lead to the lessened height of the text ?

1) You can notice the difference in some pathological cases such as my example, especially on horizontal lines that are close to the envelope.

2) The idea is that there is a strip delimited by two horizontal lines that is mapped between the strokes, by stretching it vertically. The horizontal lines in the sources are mapped to the strokes of the envelope, ane everything inside (and outside) is stretched to match. The guides are just a way to specify these horizontals.

So the area between the guides is like a selection that tells the script what part of the text to stretch including empty space as padding ?

Is that for convenience so you dont have to make another envelope path, when things dont look good in the first place ?
(12-20-2017, 03:47 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: So the area between the guides is like a selection that tells the script what part of the text to stretch including empty space as padding ?

Is that for convenience so you dont have to make another envelope path, when things dont look good in the first place ?

1) yes. If make an analogy with the "Cage tool", the "contents" selector is where the initial position of the cage is, and the envelope is where you have dragged the points.

2) not specially for convenience, that's the way the algorithm works...
@ofnuts :
Im super impressed with this whole script ! Its a dream come true.
I have been banging my head against the wall for years, trying to make this kind of text in Inkscape.

Now you write a script in 3 days and it works in no time on a mouseclick.
Even the Bezier Envelope Extension needs 10 seconds+ to compute the effect (per letter !) and doesnt look half as good.

You should teach the Inkscape coders a lesson or two !
(12-20-2017, 04:44 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: @ofnuts :
Im super impressed with this whole script ! Its a dream come true.
I have been banging my head against the wall for years, trying to make this kind of text in Inkscape.

Now you write a script in 3 days and it works in no time on a mouseclick.
Even the Bezier Envelope Extension needs 10 seconds+ to compute the effect (per letter !) and doesnt look half as good.

You should teach the Inkscape coders a lesson or two !

My script does two things to be quick:

1) it handles only the existing anchors adn tangents. 100 points for a word, vs several thousands when you try to interpolate things
2) the script restricts itself to cases where you need only to solve 3rd degree equations. Some algorithms end up with more complex polynomials and have to use iterative algorithms to find the roots. Others also just have 3rd degree polynomials, but don't know how to solve them directly and use the slower iterative algorithms instead.
Updated the package on SourceForge:
  • More accurate checking of the top/bottom envelope strokes
  • Improved (hopefully) the doc
So now you can do: