Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-path-to-cylinder
Ofnuts, Thank you for the path to cylinder plugin and well written guide.

Using wrap path on vertical cylinder, initially I found the two guides menu item confusing as it actually wants two vertical and one horizontal guide. So that's three guides for which there is a menu option but that's for when there are four guides Smile Maybe worth having a reminder that one horizontal guide is always needed too in the menu options or dialog box?

Here's my try, not sure I got it quite right for this mug, perhaps it looks a bit too wrapped?

(03-13-2023, 03:08 AM)teapot Wrote: Ofnuts, Thank you for the path to cylinder plugin and well written guide.

Using wrap path on vertical cylinder, initially I found the two guides menu item confusing as it actually wants two vertical and one horizontal guide. So that's three guides for which there is a menu option but that's for when there are four guides Smile Maybe worth having a reminder that one horizontal guide is always needed too in the menu options or dialog box?

Here's my try, not sure I got it quite right for this mug, perhaps it looks a bit too wrapped?

Nice one.

Technically, the horizontal guide isn't part of the cylinder definition... but I'll see if I can find something less ambiguous.
Thanks Ofnuts. I see what you mean.

I'm finding path to cylinder really convenient to use now I've played some more. It's really handy to have the choice of how to indicate where the cylinder is so guides can be preserved for other uses.

The more time consuming for me in making Dino mug was bend path  Smile

Some test stripes. Top three using path to cylinder and then a slight adjustment with the perspective tool. Bottom three using bend path. I think they look right:

(03-20-2023, 04:23 PM)teapot Wrote: Some test stripes. Top three using path to cylinder and then a slight adjustment with the perspective tool. Bottom three using bend path. I think they look right:

They do. You managed the hard part, which is to get the correct lighting. Did you use a specific blend mode for this?
(03-20-2023, 05:10 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 04:23 PM)teapot Wrote: Some test stripes. Top three using path to cylinder and then a slight adjustment with the perspective tool. Bottom three using bend path. I think they look right:

They do. You managed the hard part, which is to get the correct lighting. Did you use a specific blend mode for this?

For those stripe colours I used layer mode subtract and opacity 80%.

In another image not posted I coloured the mugs with a dark green so used layer mode grain merge and opacity 80%.
Thanks again for this great plugin Ofnuts.

I particularly like the path method of alignment as the path can be named and kept for future use.  I had some confusion at one point when I must have done something like flipping the path so it ran from right to left instead of left to right and then couldn't understand what the alignment was doing. I reversed the strokes with ofn-path-edits and the alignment then worked as expected.

I hope it's OK to post a 4th try (the plugin is addictive Smile ), here's one using rotation angle alignment incremented in steps of 10:

Thumbs Up 
Always looking for good examples. Very impressive.  Cool Cool Cool
Very nice teapot, very nice!
Patrice