Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
outlined text in GIMP?
Hi everyone, I usually add text to images in gimp and often need it to be outlined (with a border of a different color), but it's quite boring everytime to write the text, select the layer, expand the selection, create another blank layer, fill with the other color the selection on this layer, and then merging those two layers into one
there are tons of plugins that do this process automatically, but there is always a problem: I can't edit the text after it has been outlined. 
so I was wondering... is there a plugin or something to add this feature to gimp? I think it would be really helpful and very easy to implement Big Grin
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-ofn-outline-layer
(03-15-2022, 04:58 PM)tubbadu Wrote: but it's quite boring everytime to write the text, select the layer, expand the selection, create another blank layer, fill with the other color the selection on this layer, and then merging those two layers into one

Don't do it that way, that was a millennia ago.

(03-15-2022, 04:58 PM)tubbadu Wrote: there are tons of plugins that do this process automatically, but there is always a problem: I can't edit the text after it has been outlined.
so I was wondering... is there a plugin or something to add this feature to gimp? I think it would be really helpful and very easy to implement Big Grin

Yes you can edit your text after outlining it
GIMP has already this feature, you can add an outline then edit the text later if you want (then add an outline after editing in 1 click)

Type your text, then add outline this way (below) NOT duplicate, NO alpha to select, NO fuzz, just with one simple filter, and bonus it's all with preview, no guessing!
Go to Filters ➤ Light and Shadow ➤ Drop shadow... X and Y to zero, blur radius to zero, opacity 1 or at max, Grow Radius = thickness of your outline, Grow Shape will define how it is (like rounded, squared, Diamond...), then OK

You want to edit, click on the text button, then click on your text, your will got a message from GIMP saying this (below), click OK and edit your text

Once text edited, if you did put an outline just before re-editing your text or it was the last filter you've used, just do a Ctrl + F or go to Filters ➤ "Repeat drop shadow" (Ctrl+F repeat the last filter with their last setting)

Done!
Oh... I almost forgot, you can re-edit your text again Big Grin
Clever technique, but the outline thickness isn't very constant. The stroke-path technique as used in my script (top) vs the drop-shadow result (bottom):

In particular:

• the two bevels in the top serif of the "G"
  • the bottom of the inside loop of the "G"
  • the left of the outer loop of the "G"
  • the inner loop of the "P"
  • the right of the outer loop of the "P"
Yep true, that angular "flattening" is not tip-top and should not happen IMHO.
Does It depend on the font and the mode?
It seems... test with rounded sans serif and "Circle" works nicely.

On the other hand, square mode... IMHO will depend about the balance between being able re-editing and precision people wants, or use 2 text layers with the one underneath bigger and another color, and the text will be editable  Big Grin

In all cases well done to spot it out, that's something people using this technique should know and look at . :thumbup:
(03-16-2022, 11:09 AM)PixLab Wrote: Yep true, that angular "flattening" is not tip-top and should not happen IMHO.
Does It depend on the font and the mode?
It seems... test with rounded sans serif and "Circle" works nicely.

On the other hand, square mode... IMHO will depend about the balance between being able re-editing and precision people wants, or use 2 text layers with the one underneath bigger and another color, and the text will be editable  Big Grin

In all cases well done to spot it out, that's something people using this technique should know and look at . :thumbup:

There is really that hitch at the top left corner of the "E" and the " B" in your round font?
(03-16-2022, 05:28 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: There is really that hitch at the top left corner of the "E" and the " B" in your round font?

Yes, there is. The font name is Arista 2.0 Alternate

https://github.com/LinuxBeaver/GEGL-Effe...sing-GEGL/

You know the drill