Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
outlined text in GIMP?
(03-15-2022, 04:58 PM)tubbadu Wrote: but it's quite boring everytime to write the text, select the layer, expand the selection, create another blank layer, fill with the other color the selection on this layer, and then merging those two layers into one

Don't do it that way, that was a millennia ago.

(03-15-2022, 04:58 PM)tubbadu Wrote: there are tons of plugins that do this process automatically, but there is always a problem: I can't edit the text after it has been outlined.
so I was wondering... is there a plugin or something to add this feature to gimp? I think it would be really helpful and very easy to implement Big Grin

Yes you can edit your text after outlining it
GIMP has already this feature, you can add an outline then edit the text later if you want (then add an outline after editing in 1 click)

Type your text, then add outline this way (below) NOT duplicate, NO alpha to select, NO fuzz, just with one simple filter, and bonus it's all with preview, no guessing!
Go to Filters ➤ Light and Shadow ➤ Drop shadow... X and Y to zero, blur radius to zero, opacity 1 or at max, Grow Radius = thickness of your outline, Grow Shape will define how it is (like rounded, squared, Diamond...), then OK

You want to edit, click on the text button, then click on your text, your will got a message from GIMP saying this (below), click OK and edit your text

Once text edited, if you did put an outline just before re-editing your text or it was the last filter you've used, just do a Ctrl + F or go to Filters ➤ "Repeat drop shadow" (Ctrl+F repeat the last filter with their last setting)

Done!
Oh... I almost forgot, you can re-edit your text again Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
outlined text in GIMP? - by tubbadu - 03-15-2022, 04:58 PM
RE: outlined text in GIMP? - by Ofnuts - 03-15-2022, 05:27 PM
RE: outlined text in GIMP? - by PixLab - 03-16-2022, 12:33 AM
RE: outlined text in GIMP? - by Ofnuts - 03-16-2022, 10:07 AM
RE: outlined text in GIMP? - by PixLab - 03-16-2022, 11:09 AM
RE: outlined text in GIMP? - by Ofnuts - 03-16-2022, 05:28 PM
RE: outlined text in GIMP? - by PixLab - 03-16-2022, 06:30 PM
RE: outlined text in GIMP? - by BeaverGEGLFreak - 02-26-2023, 11:55 PM