Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export JPG Gimp 2.10.6
Bug 
Up to now I was using 2.8.
Now I changed to 2.10.6

It is impossible to "export with the extension .jpg.

Read a pic / make changes / export as:  with a new Name / gives an errormessage "File or directory not found /

How can I export as jpg ??[img]c://user/jo/pictures/gimp export.jpg[/img]
Windows 10
Your screenshot did come through. If you have problems attaching to the forum use a file sharing site such as imgur.com

Is it just exporting that is a problem?
Can you open a jpeg image?
What version of Windows are you using?

If you installed over Gimp 2.8 there might be old files remaining. Gimp 2.10.6 now puts all the system plug-ins in separate folders. The file to import/export jpegs is a plug-in.
If you check in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins the structure looks like this:

[Image: Dcvk7Uo.jpg]

If there are any files not in folders they should not be there.

Another issue is if you are using an old installation of Windows 7 (but not probable)
(08-23-2018, 02:26 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Your screenshot did come through. If you have problems attaching to the forum use a file sharing site such as imgur.com

Is it just exporting that is a problem?
Can you open a jpeg image?
What version of Windows are you using?

If you installed over Gimp 2.8 there might be old files remaining. Gimp 2.10.6 now puts all the system plug-ins in separate folders. The file to import/export jpegs is a plug-in.
If you check in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins the structure looks like this:

[Image: Dcvk7Uo.jpg]

If there are any files not in folders they should not be there.

Another issue is if you are using an old installation of Windows 7 (but not probable)

Many thanks for your fast replay.

Loading a jpg-File works fine.

Both versions of export do not work.

I am using Windows 10 latest update.

After deinstalling gimp and installing gimp again, all the older files were gone.
The directory looks like your exampel.
Export has still the same Problems.

see a screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/s/10bd7x3mqu2knp...t.jpg?dl=0
I still can not reproduce that in Windows 10 / Gimp 2.10.6 Difficult to give advice. Not keen on that underscore starting the "_Portraits" folder but I reproduced that here and export jpg works.

Are you sure all remains of gimp 2.8 have gone?

The way I would do it now that Gimp 2.10 is installed

Uninstall Gimp 2.10 from the Windows uninstall menu.
If C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\ remains delete it.
Delete the Gimp 2.10 gimp profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10
Rename the old Gimp 2.8 gimp profile C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 ( say .ggimp-2.8) to prevent Gimp 2.10 copying over files
Install Gimp 2.10.6
Run to create a new default Gimp profile.
Export a jpeg to say the desktop to verify it works (or not)

A lot of work if the problem still exists, but.....
Did you try with a simpler name (no spaces, no parentheses...)?
Hello Rich2005,Hello Ofnuts

I had e lot of work to do.

- New Installation again in german.
- the profile-files are now all new

I made 5 different tests. With XCF fils and with jpg file.

Results see  https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7o9on61avwu14...t.pdf?dl=0

It was not a success.

In one message it is mentioned that expport is a plugin ?! In the profile directory plugin is Nothing.

Hopefull the informations help you find the bug. Thanks a lot.
Windows 10
Just to be very clear about the problem. Is this for every file you open then save or just that specific file?

Just wondering about the 'bad file descriptor' message.

Can you upload the file to dropbox?
Yes, there is a plugin to load/save each image type. But the plugin is not in your profile, it is part of the Gimp installation tree.

In your test, all the attempts save to some GimpTest directory, the problem could be with that directory. Can you create a file in it in the file explorer (New>text document or somesuch)?
(08-27-2018, 11:13 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Just to be very clear about the problem. Is this for every file you open then save or just that specific file?

Just wondering about the 'bad file descriptor' message.

Can you upload the file to dropbox?

It is for every file I tried. I tried many files.

See https://www.dropbox.com/s/8alka5p0ka0tws...G.jpg?dl=0 

With the file Explorer the JPG preview i ok.

(08-27-2018, 12:12 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Yes, there is a plugin to load/save each image type. But the plugin is not in your profile, it is part of the Gimp installation tree.

In your test, all the attempts save to some GimpTest directory, the problem could be with that directory. Can you create a file in it in the file explorer (New>text document or somesuch)?

Do I have to load manualy or are thei loaded automaticly?

For the first tests I used different existing directories. Rich2005 asked me to create a new simple directory with simple file names.
I created the directory  GimpTest with the file explorer and copied the pics with it.

As a test  I wrote a text with word and created a wordfile in the directory GimpTest. The preview with file explorer works good.
Windows 10
The plugins are loaded automatically. By the way, can you export to other formats (PNG, TIFF, GIF...)?

Also can you find your Gimp profile, locate the pluginrc file it contains, ZIP it and attach it here or put in on Dropbox?