Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to add date on photo
GIMP 2.10.18

What will be an easy way adding date on photo ?

Performed following steps;
Open photo
Tools -> Text

It seems nothing happened.

Pls advise.  Thanks

Regards
(06-22-2022, 03:05 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote: GIMP 2.10.18

Open photo
Tools -> Text

Pls advise.  Thanks

Regards

Then just after you have to click on the canvas/image where you want to put the text... And yes you can move it later on with the move tool if you wish.
Tip: For any tool which seems to not work ➤ just click on your image after selecting that tool.
(06-22-2022, 06:02 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(06-22-2022, 03:05 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote: GIMP 2.10.18

Open photo
Tools -> Text

Pls advise.  Thanks

Regards

Then just after you have to click on the canvas/image where you want to put the text... And yes you can move it later on with the move tool if you wish.
Tip: For any tool which seems to not work ➤ just click on your image after selecting that tool.

After clicking on the image and filling in the length in cm I can't proceed further.  Pls refers to attached screenshot.

Regards

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-22-2022, 06:28 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote: After clicking on the image and filling in the length in cm I can't proceed further. ...

Initially, do not use the on-canvas dialogue, at least not until you know what you are doing. Use the text tool options

(1) Set the fore-ground colour you want the text, can be any colour, something that will show, black-on-black obviously not a good choice.
(2) Select the text tool, this will open the text tool options under the tools.
(3) Choose a font if you want
(4) This is the font size (height) that you were trying to adjust. You can change it to another value when you have entered some text on the canvas.

Leave the other settings for the moment.

Click on the canvas, type some text in

(5)This adds a text layer, with a Text symbol to the layers.  You can move this around with the Move tool.

To get out of the text tool click on some other tool.
(06-22-2022, 07:27 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(06-22-2022, 06:28 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote: After clicking on the image and filling in the length in cm I can't proceed further. ...

Initially, do not use the on-canvas dialogue, at least not until you know what you are doing. Use the text tool options

(1) Set the fore-ground colour you want the text, can be any colour, something that will show, black-on-black obviously not a good choice.
(2) Select the text tool, this will open the text tool options under the tools.
(3) Choose a font if you want
(4) This is the font size (height) that you were trying to adjust. You can change it to another value when you have entered some text on the canvas.

Leave the other settings for the moment.

Click on the canvas, type some text in

(5)This adds a text layer, with a Text symbol to the layers.  You can move this around with the Move tool.

To get out of the text tool click on some other tool.
Thanks for your advice.

But I couldn't start [This is the date 22 June 2022]

Pls refer to attached screenshot

Regards

From you screenshot, the on-canvas text tool looks a little odd. The font name / font size positions.

However, it also looks like you have not typed anything from the keyboard once you clicked on the canvas. The text box is just the 4 corners and there is no text layer until you type something.

Is your computer set up with mixed languages English / something else ?

What you can try is the old text editor.

As before set the foreground colour, choose the text tool. This time there is a check box in the text tool options for Use Editor (just under the font size) Tick that, click on the canvas, that pops up a text editor box. Type in that.

45 second example: (please have a look at it) https://i.imgur.com/ulorVhM.mp4
(06-22-2022, 11:14 AM)rich2005 Wrote: However, it also looks like you have not typed anything from the keyboard once you clicked on the canvas. The text box is just the 4 corners and there is no text layer until you type something.

Indeed,
@Stephen you need to start to type something, in your tool options your text box is set to "Dynamic", thus you won't see anything as the size will be "Dynamic" and take the least place possible, once you type something the textbox will be the size of the letter or number you've typed.
In the end ➤ select the text tool>> Then Click on your image, then ➤Just type something right away. You will see/understand once the first letter/number you've typed
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-text.html
Finally I type [Today June 22, 2022]

What shall I do next?
Can I move [Today June 22, 2022] to another place and increase its size?

Do not just read the last post, although you are not alone in that respect

I told you how to do it here : https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-to...3#pid29923

look at the little video https://i.imgur.com/ulorVhM.mp4 at the end change size / font / use the move tool. The text layer is a layer like any other.

When you are finished choose another tool.
(06-22-2022, 11:59 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote: Finally I type [Today June 22, 2022]

What shall I do next?
Can I move [Today June 22, 2022] to another place and increase its size?
(06-22-2022, 06:02 AM)PixLab Wrote: .....

To move see above my quoted comment
To increase the size, select the text tool to edit your text (don't forget to click on it in the canvas), then Select your text then increase the size via the floating window or via the tool options

EDIT:
I just watched the video from @rich2005 of the post #6, he did a very nice video for you to understand the basics of the text editor and even more, please watch it, he is even showing you how to increase - decrease the size of a text and other very good tips!