Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting a car questions
Hello there, I'm new to GIMP and it looks like a fab program, once you have mastered all the intricacies, which I havn't yet. My questions will likely need a long answer, so if I could be pointed to any relevant links pertaining to my questions, it would be greatly appreciated

I work with .DDS files (I think they are single layer) to paint cars for a game, and would like to know if the following can be done with GIMP

Can a vehicles bumpers be "painted" with a chrome/shiney/reflective finish?

I see there are Hex/HTML color codes for flat colors. Can a "metallic finish" look be achieved?

If I wanted to paint a 2 tone car, say the roof/pillars as one color and the rest of the body another color (vinyl roof?), I tried using the bucket fill, but it keeps painting the whole car one color. Can you insert some sort of line on the body, so when you use the bucket fill it only fills a new color up to that line?

Sorry if these are simplistically asked questions  Smile

Thanks  Chris
Can you post a sample image? You will get much better answers. (Otherwise everyone is doing some guess work.)
(03-13-2018, 05:14 AM)Blighty Wrote: Can you post a sample image? You will get much better answers. (Otherwise everyone is doing some guess work.)

Hi Blighty, and thanks for your reply. I can post a .psd blank template when I get home as I don't have it with me atm. Thanks  Chris
(03-13-2018, 05:08 AM)Statesman Wrote: Hello there, I'm new to GIMP and it looks like a fab program, once you have mastered all the intricacies, which I havn't yet. My questions will likely need a long answer, so if I could be pointed to any relevant links pertaining to my questions, it would be greatly appreciated

I work with .DDS files (I think they are single layer) to paint cars for a game, and would like to know if the following can be done with GIMP

Can a vehicles bumpers be "painted" with a chrome/shiney/reflective finish?

I see there are Hex/HTML color codes for flat colors. Can a "metallic finish" look be achieved?

The metallic finish means that there is some reflection of things that aren't part of the texture. AFAIK this means that in addition of the three R, G, and B colors, there is an additional "reflectivity" channel. There is no direct support for this in Gimp, but Gimp handles a 4th channel for opacity and that channel can be edited. I think  this explains it (your case could be simpler since the whole texture would have identical reflectivity.
[/quote]

(03-13-2018, 05:08 AM)Statesman Wrote: If I wanted to paint a 2 tone car, say the roof/pillars as one color and the rest of the body another color (vinyl roof?), I tried using the bucket fill, but it keeps painting the whole car one color. Can you insert some sort of line on the body, so when you use the bucket fill it only fills a new color up to that line?

This is exactly what the selection tools are for. Once you have selected an area, editing only applies to pixels in that area. Mastering the selections techniques is a very important part of the image editing skills (in Gimp, but also in PS...).
Statesman said:
"Can a vehicles bumpers be "painted" with a chrome/shiney/reflective finish?"

I think the best way to do that in Gimp is with 'environment maps' or 'e-maps'.

racer-x posted a pretty impressive chrome here:
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t...&start=560
(03-13-2018, 09:30 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: Statesman said:
"Can a vehicles bumpers be "painted" with a chrome/shiney/reflective finish?"

I think the best way to do that in Gimp is with 'environment maps' or 'e-maps'.

racer-x posted a pretty impressive chrome here:
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t...&start=560

Wow, thats pretty impressive Chrome. I think I am trying to run before learning to walk tho, so will have to leave the chrome until I have grasped the concepts a bit better.

Thanks all, for the advice and links, good learning and reading material. I have attached the .psd template I promised earlier which was originally meant to be a rally car. I am not yet familiar with decals etc, as tbh, thats low on my list. I really just want to have a go at making this car a "stock" look as much as possible, just to get the hang of painting and practice using the selection tools as advised earlier
[Image: Q0q8wtC.jpg]

This is only a jpg as I cant seem to upload a psd to any image hosting site or here

Thanks  Chris
Here is a crop from your image with the little piece at the bottom done in "chrome". Perhaps a little too silver, could be done with slightly darker greys. (Method is e-maps as suggested by Tas_mania)

Is this what you are looking for? If so, i can explain how it was done. (Requires a BRL plugin).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-13-2018, 10:35 AM)Statesman Wrote: This is only a jpg as I cant seem to upload a psd to any image hosting site or here

You can put it in a ZIP, they are allowed up to 1MB.
Hi Blighty/Ofnuts. Yes that chrome looks fantastic and what I was looking for. Blighty, to save you a lot of typing explaining how its done, is there a link you can point me to? I may be able to work it out from there. I will get the plugin anyway. The original external.psd file is 11mb out of the box and only compresses in zip to 7.2mb so looks like I cant upload it here. I have uploaded it to google drive in its original size and psd format. Here is the link if anyone would like to see it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zo_tCfZ...sp=sharing

Thanks Chris
(03-13-2018, 01:16 PM)Statesman Wrote: Blighty, to save you a lot of typing explaining how its done, is there a link you can point me to? I may be able to work it out from there.

I'll put a few links and things together and post here in a while.

Download MLBevelReflect.exe from here:
http://gimpscripts.com/2014/01/ml-bevel-reflect/
Put it in the *plug-ins* folder of your gimp profile
On Windows, this is something like:
C:/Users/YourName/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins
ML Bevel Reflect will appear in the Gimp menus, but DO NOT USE IT.

Download bevel-reflect-logo.scm from here:
http://gimpscripts.com/2014/02/bevel-reflect-logo/
Put it in the *scripts* folder of your gimp profile
This script will appear in Filters>Alpha to Logo>Bevel Reflect Logo
(This script calls  MLBevelReflect.exe)

For convenience, above two are attached below.

There is a thread on Bevel Reflect Logo at:
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9677
There are hundreds of e-maps there.

To get you started, a few chrome e-maps are attached below.

Attached Files
.zip   BRLScipts.zip (Size: 24.56 KB / Downloads: 143)
.zip   ChromeEmaps.zip (Size: 748.97 KB / Downloads: 156)