Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
edit image help
thankyou rich2005 for your help

i still can't get the single window mode to stay when I open my file. but i can work around that for now. just frustrating.

when i clicked on the layer with pic (the correct eye!) and then selected the star looking icon to move it...the whole picture moved and background was dark and light grey squares. that is wrong.
i remember that in PS but can't remember what to do.

i went to  previous brown heart and start a new with inserting pics.
what i did was open picture i wanted and right clicked to copy...it is a .png image
then in gimp...edit paste into new image...what came up was another totally unrelated image which was very large over right half of existing brown heart layer.  
obviously  am doing the copy/paste process incorrectly.

this makes me mad cuz i did it before...just can't remember what i did first.
should i be creating a new layer and then pasting to it?
or is paste to new layer good enough.
obviously something i am doing wrong. 
AND how do i go about getting the right size of picture???
Make allowance for time zones, we are on the other side of the Atlantic and the carrier pigeon service is slow.

Quote:i still can't get the single window mode to stay when I open my file. but i can work around that for now. just frustrating.

Have a look at this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQz0zCyVFJU duration 4 mins. I showed in Win10 but applicable to any OS.

Quote:when i clicked on the layer with pic (the correct eye!) and then selected the star looking icon to move it...the whole picture moved and background was dark and light grey squares. that is wrong.

When moving a layer, click on a solid part of the image otherwise the move tool looks for the next solid pixel which is often the background layer. When you finally get the tool options showing, there is a tick box for move the active layer which does what it says.

The checker-board pattern is the way Gimp denotes transparency (the alpha channel)

Quote:i remember that in PS but can't remember what to do.

Gimp has a steep learning curve. PS has a steeper unlearning curve. Forget about what PS does.

Quote:i went to previous brown heart and start a new with inserting pics.
what i did was open picture i wanted and right clicked to copy...it is a .png image
then in gimp...edit paste into new image...what came up was another totally unrelated image which was very large over right half of existing brown heart layer. obviously am doing the copy/paste process incorrectly.

Forget PS, Right click will work, but it brings up a menu same as the main window. Use the edit menu and copy. This brings up the Mac keyboard the standard ctrl-c (copy) ctrl-v (paste) works except the Mac does not have ctrl. As I understand the 'command' key replaces ctrl.

Quote:this makes me mad cuz i did it before...just can't remember what i did first.
should i be creating a new layer and then pasting to it?
or is paste to new layer good enough. obviously something i am doing wrong.

You should certainly be using as many layers as required. The pasted image as a layer permits changing in the future. In the edit menu there is Paste-As with an option to paste as a new layer. That is the one where it parks top left. Otherwise if you Paste there is a floating-selection-layer and an option to Anchor which merges with the active layer or fix as a new layer.

Get the PDF I referenced or see https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-anchor.html

Quote:AND how do i go about getting the right size of picture???

This goes back to what was mentioned earlier. Image size and ppi. It would help if you gave the purpose of the final image. As a print and what size, in which case your image will probably be too small. Or maybe as part of a web page in which case might be OK. Remember if you try and scale your 500x500 pix image up a lot it will certainly degrade and look fuzzy.
Rich2005
many thanks for your reply. tis 10am here in Canada so i will watch the times zones in future.

1. the video for easy single window mode is great and easy to understand. once i got the single window set to default, was easy to see which layer was floating. excellent!

2. the floating selection info helps a bit more to understand all these layers.
i was able to delete the floating layer which was picture i decided i did not want. but when tried to select/delete
pic of parents ....the whole brown heart disappears and the checkered background showed.  
then tried to move them...and part of checkered background showed. see attach.

so it seems i have managed to get picture into original image but not as a layer. am I correct?
how can I delete the pic of parents? if not possible, I do have a previous copy which I can work on from scratch.

3. sizing..i have been busy playing and learning and have not yet tried to print a test copy.

Final outcome: i want to complete this brown heart, print on photo matte, paste to colored cardstock, cut out heart and have it laminated. then will punch hole and insert a xmas ribbon....gift for a xmas tree ornament about 3 1/2" hi.
(10-29-2017, 05:04 PM)lori17 Wrote: how can I delete the pic of parents? if not possible, I do have a previous copy which I can work on from scratch.

You need to include your layers dialogue in your screenshot. The parents could be in a layer of their own, or they could have been merged into the wooden heart layer. Are your wooden heart and parents on separate layers?

In the screenshot attached, the layer called "Drop Shadow" has been selected and it is the one that will be deleted if the "Delete This Layer" icon is clicked.

As for sizing, when I made the wooden heart I purposely made it small for demo purposes, to keep uploads / downloads small. It is only about 300 pixels high, so only suitable for printing size of about 1". I can easily make you a larger one if you would like one. Say about 1200 pixels high, suitable to print about 4". I would need to select a different wooden board as the demo one is small.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

From your screenshot, you anchored the pasted in 'floating' layer, merging it with the base image.

That can be ok providing you do not want to change it later.

Too much description and screenshots so a short video (5 mins) covering those loose ends.

not needed anymore - wants removed https://youtu.be/LU4OSRBW4G4 gone

File -> Open as layers to get the image in.
Drag-n-drop between images
Copy/paste between images -> anchor or new layer?

A bit about scaling, both in place or pre-scaling

Then your image when it comes to printing, At 3.5 inches the ppi is 144. Might just be ok for a christmas tree decoration
but
If you do ever start over from scratch, an image size 3.5" x 300 ppi say 1000 pix square would be better.
thank you blighty for your reply
i see that I must have merged the two layers by mistake (as indicated by rich2005) ...see screen shot with dialogue bars. 
i do have the previous file without pictures and can begin again. hopefully I can get that done correctly!

the size issue: i found in IMAGE print size option...print size wide 177.80px by 173.21px but when i changed that to inches...7" by 6.8"...does this not change the actual print size of the image?

your offer to get me a larger wooden heart is very kind. tho won't it be too large for this forum to upload. i tried to upload another screen shot but got message my limit was taken. 

mayb i could learn how to do this on my own for future projects. 
would i just find a page of color,design or whatever and crop shape i want and size it? is that how it is done?

rich2005...thanks for your input also and the youtube link -- very helpful.
sizing and scaling has always been a problem with me, in past would work on trial and error!!
hopefully I will get it eventually. just have to keep using the software and work on project. once i finish project
and don't come back for a long time I forget how to do things.    lol lol lol

FYI...if I tend to get to wordy with my questions or replies, please let me know and I will try to be more succinct.

If you export your screenshots as jpg's, rather than png's you'll be able to upload more. A jpg file should have a smaller filesize than a png of the smae image (substantially less in most cases)!
(10-29-2017, 07:54 PM)lori17 Wrote: your offer to get me a larger wooden heart is very kind.

Here it is (1.6MB)
https://imgur.com/a/x6X2z

I left off the outside shadows and gave it a transparent background.
(10-29-2017, 08:11 PM)Zero01 Wrote: If you export your screenshots as jpg's, rather than png's you'll be able to upload more.  A jpg file should have a smaller filesize than a png of the smae image (substantially less in most cases)!
thanks Zero01...shall keep that in mind.

[attachment=883 Wrote:Blighty pid='3795' dateline='1509308301']
(10-29-2017, 07:54 PM)lori17 Wrote: your offer to get me a larger wooden heart is very kind.

Here it is (1.6MB)
https://imgur.com/a/x6X2z

I left off the outside shadows and gave it a transparent background.
thank you blighty
eventually i would like to know how that is done...for now...am in a hurry to get this  project going.
on existing smaller wooden heart, i have created another layer, pasted a pic - can move it but cannot get it smaller. 
have given it an oval effect too but can't see where to crop or shape. 
hmmmm the more i learn the more i want to try.....

see attached....

wow!!!
been at this too long today...eyes AND brain getting taxed. will continue tomorrow.

(10-29-2017, 08:31 PM)lori17 Wrote: i have created another layer, pasted a pic - can move it but cannot get it smaller. 
have given it an oval effect too but can't see where to crop or shape. 
hmmmm the more i learn the more i want to try.....

...will continue tomorrow.

Scaling the superimposed image - both in-place or pre-scaling was covered in that little video:

this one: https://youtu.be/LU4OSRBW4G4

To give the image an oval shape:
First the image needs transparency Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel (if greyed-out one already exists)

Make a elliptical selection using the select tool. SelectEllipse
Invert the selection Select -> Invert
Cut the selection. Edit -> Cut

That gives a hard edge, for a faded edge

Make the selection then Invert the selection then Select -> Feather (with a suitable value)
Then cut the selection.

examples: https://i.imgur.com/265bwV3.jpg

The same applies for rectangular selection SelectRect and free selections SelectFree